Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [Wii] Geometry Wars: Galaxies (rev. 4771)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Geometry Wars: Galaxies appears to be working much better as of rev. 4771. In previous revisions, the game would only go to the menus and then crash when you attempt to start up a game. But as of this latest revision, you can access all menus and even start up a game. However, I wouldn't call this game perfect just yet.

About The Game:
Geometry Wars: Galaxies is a multidirectional shooter video game created by Bizarre Creations and Kuju Entertainment, which was released on Nintendo's Wii and DS consoles in November 2007. Galaxies is a sequel to Geometry Wars, which was originally included as a bonus game within Project Gotham Racing 2 on Microsoft's Xbox console. This updated version includes a single-player campaign mode, several multiplayer modes, Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved (previously released on the Xbox Live Arcade online service), and support for online leaderboards. The Wii version supports widescreen and 480p progressive scan display. To date, this is the only Geometry Wars game to appear on a non-Xbox 360 platform. (source: Wikipedia)

Game:
Geometry Wars: Galaxies (NTSC)

What Works:
  • All Menus can be accessed
  • Most graphics including the planets in the Galaxies Menu are rendered correctly
  • Retro Evolved Mode is playable
  • Sounds, music, and sound effects work correctly
  • Games can be exited out and returned to the main menu without crashing

Problems:
  • Extremely slow in the menus and intros FPS only goes up to about 5 FPS for menus and intros.
  • Retro Evolved Mode has full FPS but constantly freezes and unfreezes sometimes
  • Audio sometimes skips or lags when the FPS drops very low
  • Galaxies Mode will not work. Game crashes when you attempt to start up a game in Galaxies Mode
  • I can't be positive but there appears to be a bit of screen-bleeding for some of the graphics.

Settings:
All Default Settings + Progressive Scan
WiiMote Nunchuck Enabled

Note:
The Nunchuck IS required to play this game.

PC Specs:
Dell XPS M1530
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit
Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 @ 2.50 GHz
4.0 GB RAM
nVidia GeForce 8400M GS
1650 MB Video RAM
DirectX 11

Screenshots:
[Image: RGLE7D-4.png]
[Image: RGLE7D-5.png]
[Image: RGLE7D-7.png]
[Image: RGLE7D-6.png]
[Image: RGLE7D-11.png]
[Image: RGLE7D-15.png]
[Image: RGLE7D-18.png]
[Image: RGLE7D-19.png]
[Image: RGLE7D-20.png]
[Image: RGLE7D-21.png]

More Screenshots Here.

Videos
Video #1 (Unedited)

Hopefully, by the next revision, this game will have some more improvements and it will be more playable than it currently is. I will try making a video of this game later. If anybody has any tips on optimizing this game as it is, please let me know.
awesome, i love this game
(01-04-2010, 10:01 AM)shuffle2 Wrote: [ -> ]awesome, i love this game

Hey, I was wondering if you knew how I could make a video of the game in Dolphin Emu? I know I could just use several programs to record but I noticed that Dolphin had a Record function. I tried recording something and it saved the video as a .dtm file. I assume that's the video file dolphin recorded. However, I can't get it to play. If it is the video file, is it enough to just post it as an attachment to this post so people can download and watch the video? Or should I actually use another program like Fraps or Hypercam to record the game and save the footage as an actual video file playable in some kind of media player (eg. Windows Media Player) without requiring the use of Dolphin Emu?
Use fraps, hypercam, or growler guncam. The record feature is not fully working last time I checked.
(01-04-2010, 02:11 PM)jedikevin20 Wrote: [ -> ]Use fraps, hypercam, or growler guncam. The record feature is not fully working last time I checked.

Ok thanks! I'll get started on that video right away.

This game on Wii.... really looks.... RETRO
(01-04-2010, 07:13 PM)AyuanX Wrote: [ -> ]

This game on Wii.... really looks.... RETRO

Well it's not just on the Wii. It's also on the Xbox 360. In fact, there are more Geometry Wars games on the Xbox 360 than the Wii (I have all of them). But yeah, the game looks Retro on purpose. If you look at the title of the very first Geometry Wars Game on Xbox 360, you'll notice that it's called Geometry Wars: RETRO Evolved which was included on the Wii version. However, due to the limitations of the Wii, the graphics and framerate aren't as good as the Xbox 360 version. It doesn't look AS Retro on the xbox 360 mainly because of the HD graphics. But thanks to Dolphin Emu, it can bring this game close to Xbox 360 versions in terms of graphics.
I have the video on Geometry Wars: Galaxies running in Dolphin Emu ready to watch. I'm going to post two versions however, because the first version (unedited) is over 30 minutes long. It took about 10 minutes to get to the Main Menu, another 5 to get In Game, and another 15 to get to Galaxies Menu. The 2nd version which I'll be posting a link to sometime later this week is a shorter edited version that's sped up and trimmed so you can see what the game looks like without having to wait 10 minutes. There is sound in the video, but because of the low fps in the menu's it's very laggy and distorted. But when you finally go in game, it's not so bad anymore.

Geometry Wars: Galaxies Video #1

Note: The file is over 400 MB. Depending on your connection it could take awhile to download. I didn't upload to Youtube because I thought this way would be easier for people who wanted to analyze the game a bit more closely. I will also put a link up in the original post.
Quote:Problems:
* Extremely slow in the menus and intros FPS only goes up to about 5 FPS for menus and intros.
---> Not true, because when you use Copy EFB to GL texture you get
fullspeed in the intros Tongue ...BUT the game itself will be much slower when you´re playing Sad
(02-01-2010, 12:47 AM)Chacker Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Problems:
* Extremely slow in the menus and intros FPS only goes up to about 5 FPS for menus and intros.
---> Not true, because when you use Copy EFB to GL texture you get
fullspeed Tongue ...BUT the game itself will be much slower Sad

ok, i'll try that. thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3