Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Need help figuring out how to start using Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi, I'm a new user, so sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place or something.

I have an old Wii console, that unfortunately doesn't power on anymore. It is definitely dead, no doubt about it. I had homebrew on it, and I had a ADS Technologies box that had all the games on it separately. I was wondering if there's any way to use the Dolphin emulator and the ADS Box to play my Wii Games once more on my computer.

Again, I don't know too much about the Wii, I last played it probably when I was around 5, or 6 or 7. I'm 15 now. I don't know too much about how anything worked, as my Dad is the one that set it all up. All I know is, the games were on that ADS Box, which we still have.

I just want to relive the memories I had of playing Dirt 2 on the Wii, and all the other games I had.

So if anyone knows how to run games from an external drive then please help!

I don't know what else to say, so thanks in advance.!
You should be able to transfer your games from that hard drive to your computer so that you can play them in Dolphin. If your computer recognizes the file system on the drive right away when you plug it in, then you just have to copy the game files over (or you could even play them directly from the hard drive). If not, the drive is likely formatted as WBFS. I've never handled WBFS formatted drives personally, so I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but there are programs out there that you can use to copy games to and from a WBFS formatted drive.
(12-22-2019, 02:31 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]You should be able to transfer your games from that hard drive to your computer so that you can play them in Dolphin. If your computer recognizes the file system on the drive right away when you plug it in, then you just have to copy the game files over (or you could even play them directly from the hard drive). If not, the drive is likely formatted as WBFS. I've never handled WBFS formatted drives personally, so I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but there are programs out there that you can use to copy games to and from a WBFS formatted drive.

Ok, thanks.
(12-22-2019, 02:31 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]You should be able to transfer your games from that hard drive to your computer so that you can play them in Dolphin. If your computer recognizes the file system on the drive right away when you plug it in, then you just have to copy the game files over (or you could even play them directly from the hard drive). If not, the drive is likely formatted as WBFS. I've never handled WBFS formatted drives personally, so I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but there are programs out there that you can use to copy games to and from a WBFS formatted drive.

Which version of Dolphin should I get? The newest stable version seems to be Dolphin 5.0. 
The latest development version (currently 5.0-11394) is recommended. While 5.0 does work in most cases, there have been a lot of improvements to Dolphin since it was released.
(12-22-2019, 03:37 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]The latest development version (currently 5.0-11394) is recommended. While 5.0 does work in most cases, there have been a lot of improvements to Dolphin since it was released.

Ok, thanks.
(12-22-2019, 03:37 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]The latest development version (currently 5.0-11394) is recommended. While 5.0 does work in most cases, there have been a lot of improvements to Dolphin since it was released.

And how would I go about loading up the games from the external drive into Dolphin?
(12-22-2019, 08:29 AM)Fox GAMING Wrote: [ -> ]And how would I go about loading up the games from the external drive into Dolphin?

If you have copied the games to a folder on your computer (or if you can access the games on the drive directly), go to the Paths tab of Dolphin's configuration window and add the folder that the games are in.
(12-22-2019, 08:37 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If you have copied the games to a folder on your computer (or if you can access the games on the drive directly), go to the Paths tab of Dolphin's configuration window and add the folder that the games are in.

Ok, thanks. I still need to find a plug to plug the ADS box into, but once I do, I'll try that. Again, thanks for your help.
(12-22-2019, 08:37 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]If you have copied the games to a folder on your computer (or if you can access the games on the drive directly), go to the Paths tab of Dolphin's configuration window and add the folder that the games are in.

I booted up the box, there's two drives, Drive E and F. F can't be loaded, it says the file format is unreadable (I'll send a screenshot tomorrow), but here's I've added a screenshot of Drive E's folders.

Do you have any idea where the games would be located? And is it ok for me to copy the contents of Drive E to my computer, would they still work if I copied them to my computer?

Also, I just copied the E Drive to my desktop, just to be safe.
I'll add the folders to Google drive and send a link so that someone can help me locate the games, as I don't know what / where to look for. I'm not on my computer right now, but I will be tomorrow, I'll do it then.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5