Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Lag for no reason.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Not sure what the deal is but Dolphin is having random lag spikes for no reason.

Tried with Melee, Wind Waker, and Mario Sunshine.

Mario Sunshine had the 60fps code on but even on native resolution its incredibly slow.

Wind Waker and Melee just has random slowdowns. Don't know why.

Graphics settings should be attached.
I don't know how to approve the attachments so you'll need to wait for an forum admin to do that.
My bet, Probably thermal throttling or power-saving settings activated.
I did send a reply with links to screenshots of my settings instead of attachments and it hasn't showed up yet.

(12-01-2018, 02:31 AM)DarkHacker Wrote: [ -> ]My bet, Probably thermal throttling or power-saving settings activated.
My power saving settings aren't activated.
I don't think my laptop is thermal throttling at all.
CPU runs at about 70-75c
GPU is about 64.
What custom textures are you using? Some high-res packs need a *lot* of vram (remember, they're stored uncompressed in vram, so if using .png files the size on disk will be a lot smaller than the size in vram)

Try using async ubershaders - "synchronous" could cause shader compilation stutter the first time the game happens to try to render each GPU state.

Try using a faster texture cache mode - unless the games *need* it (which then should be set on the gameini accordingly), it likely is slowing things down with no benefit.

Maybe try disabling arbitrary mipmap detection? This can cause artifacts at higher resolution (on games that use mipmaps to do "effects"), but will just increase CPU load with no benefit at 1x (native) resolution.
(12-01-2018, 08:08 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]What custom textures are you using? Some high-res packs need a *lot* of vram (remember, they're stored uncompressed in vram, so if using .png files the size on disk will be a lot smaller than the size in vram)

Try using async ubershaders - "synchronous" could cause shader compilation stutter the first time the game happens to try to render each GPU state.

Try using a faster texture cache mode - unless the games *need* it (which then should be set on the gameini accordingly), it likely is slowing things down with no benefit.

Maybe try disabling arbitrary mipmap detection? This can cause artifacts at higher resolution (on games that use mipmaps to do "effects"), but will just increase CPU load with no benefit at 1x (native) resolution.

For Wind Waker I was using the Hypatia textures but even without them there's still freezes.
Everything else is just stock.

I do have ubershaders on.

I do have it at the fastest cache settings.

Arbitrary mipmap detection is disabled.

Still lagging.
(11-30-2018, 04:08 PM)ENunn Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure what the deal is but Dolphin is having random lag spikes for no reason.

Tried with Melee, Wind Waker, and Mario Sunshine.

Mario Sunshine had the 60fps code on but even on native resolution its incredibly slow.

Wind Waker and Melee just has random slowdowns. Don't know why.

Graphics settings should be attached.
Select the "asynchronous(ubershader)" and test it again
(12-01-2018, 12:09 PM)ENunn Wrote: [ -> ]For Wind Waker I was using the Hypatia textures but even without them there's still freezes.
Everything else is just stock.

I do have ubershaders on.

I do have it at the fastest cache settings.

Arbitrary mipmap detection is disabled.

Still lagging.

I mentioned all those options as they weren't set correctly in the screenshots.

Perhaps taking a new screenshot of the current settings would be useful?
(12-02-2018, 02:09 AM)JonnyH Wrote: [ -> ]I mentioned all those options as they weren't set correctly in the screenshots.

Perhaps taking a new screenshot of the current settings would be useful?

Ooohh right. My bad. Looks like I didn't word my stuff right. I did do the things you suggested after you posted it.

Updated settings have been attached.
Why are you using Auto IR?
Pages: 1 2