Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Weird issue with Vulkan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Back when I was on Windows 10, I noticed when I used the Vulkan backend that it took a solid couple seconds for it to be initialized. This performance halt occurs whenever I open the graphics menu while using Vulkan, or when first launching a game while using Vulkan.

I am now running Windows 7 (!@#$ that garbage OS Windows 10) and now I'm finding that loading Vulkan completely freezes Dolphin. CPU usage is pegged at 1 full core utilization worth. Any ideas?

zacchi4k

Reinstall Windows 10 LOL

Jokes aside, it happens to me too (on Windows 10), and it takes several seconds to initialize since my GPU is lower end than yours.
I don't think this has to do with the GPU being lower or higher end. I think this is purely software related.

Any ideas though why it would completely hang on me in Windows 7? I wonder if it has to do with the "Evil Update", the one that introduces DX11.1 to Windows 7. This update breaks things in Just Cause 2 and probably lots of other areas in subtle ways. I really don't want to install it if I don't have to.

Update: It was the Evil Update. As soon as I installed KB2670838 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help...008-r2-sp1) Vulkan would load instantly. Let it be known that this garbage update is required for Vulkan to load, for whatever god knows reason.
I just had to make a new post about this. Things are getting even more fun than before.

Before I installed KB2670838, Vulkan would just hang Dolphin.exe on initialization. That problem was resolved and now I can load Vulkan just fine. Unfortunately it's super freaking buggy. First, when I try to fullscreen Dolphin when using DSR resolutions for downsampling, my computer instantly BSOD with a "Page Fault in Nonpaged area" crash.

I found out to stop using DSR and use my monitor's native resolutions, and now I can play just fine. But once I go to shutdown emulation and kill off the Vulkan renderer, my entire PC haults, 0 frames per second, and it becomes completely unresponsive. I am forced to do a hard shutdown/reset with my case buttons.

Any ideas what's going on here? I can play everything in OpenGL just fine like I always could. DSR resolutions, open/close games endlessly, no haults, no BSOD. Only Vulkan.
Your computer is haunted, call a priest

On the serious side, are there any other Windows updates that you don't have installed?
Yeah, a lot. I only installed the ones I know specifically are needed for things. I'll probably have to install them all to scratch it off the list.

Update:
That was the worst idea possible. I knew it was, but I just HAD to cross it off the list. I'm still blue screening with a page fault error when attempting to fullscreen in Vulkan using a DSR resolution. Only now I'm missing about 5GB of SSD space due to Microsoft gobbling it up with WinSXS folder, AND to put a cherry on top, I now have officially endorsed nagware direct from Microsoft themselves telling me to upgrade to Windows 10. Fucking wonderful.

2nd Update:
It was Windows 7. Somewhere along the lines, it was not cooperating with Vulkan. After basically turning my OS into a gimped version of 10, I decided to say screw it and format and try 10 again. Vulkan works perfectly fine as expected.

I wish I could have figured out what the exact culprit was, I installed every available update on 7 (approx 200) successfully before it bitched at me for having Kaby Lake and being on 7. I just don't know what else could have been at fault. It's a shame. I was really loving 7 again. The powers that be have decided we are no longer entitled to use it if we want to utilize our hardware though.
Back on 7 after giving up on FCU. And now the Vulkan blue screen of death crashes on fullscreen have returned. This time however it is happening even without DSR. I have installed the majority of updates skipping newer rollups to avoid nagware.

Is there any known reason why Vulkan would be causing a blue screen of death upon entering fullscreen on Windows 7? I have to try other Vulkan games and see what the story is. If it turns out to be just Dolphin, what does that mean?
It would be impressive if we managed to break nvidia's drivers in a way that caused a BSOD, as Win7 and newer requires kernel drivers to be very resilient to that.

Somebody else would need to test on Windows 7, preferably with Pascal. Dunno if we have anybody available with that config on hand.
(11-26-2017, 11:25 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]It would be impressive if we managed to break nvidia's drivers in a way that caused a BSOD, as Win7 and newer requires kernel drivers to be very resilient to that.

Somebody else would need to test on Windows 7, preferably with Pascal. Dunno if we have anybody available with that config on hand.

Wolfenstein 2's async compute option certainly managed it with Nvidia's Vulkan drivers on Windows 10, so it is possible. Nvidia's drivers don't seem to be as stable as they used to be, but I don't have Windows 7 to test.
NVidia's drivers have never really deserved their good reputation. As an extreme example, AMD never pushed an update that permanently bricked a card, but NVidia has done it more than once. When there's a cock-up, there's usually a hotfix within a week, though, so I'd try updating or rolling back or something to see if that helps.
Pages: 1 2 3 4