Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is Micro-stuttering always present
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi - I'm looking to get into Dolphin and want to play Mario galaxy 1&2, Skyward sword, Metroid Prime, Rogue leader and others.

Is micro stuttering always present in these games to some degree or is there a way to run them absolutely as smoothly and faultlessly as the original hardware? I don't mind a stutter if it's rare but if a game stutters often it might put me off.

Thanks
Dolphin caches shaders that have already been compiled, so the way to deal with this is to just... play the game. The more you play, the less stuttering happens!
I don't really notice it much in Super Mario Galaxy 1/2
Nice one - do you guys think there will ever be a time when the games will just play 100% seamlessly like the real hardware, i.e. no stuttering at all?
If the ubershaders project gets finished and merged, sure.
Thanks for that - does that look likely to happen eventually? And if so, as a rough guess are we talking a year or two or potentially beyond that?

[EDIT]: I just found a good resource that explained it to me quite well:

https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comme...planation/

It looks like this is a long term project so will take quite a while. I know I can't take microstuttering or total latency of more than about 40ms. My TV has 22-24ms (quite fast for a TV) so I'll have to wait until the Ubershader project manages to do it's work in under 20ms which might take a long time in development.
You do realize that the person that made that post on reddit got his information from here, by asking us?
I thought that might be the case - although I was happy to get the info regardless & it saves others here having to explain it.
You are mixing up your terms... Stuttering (rapid starts and stops in something that should be a smooth flow) has little to do with latency (delay between cause and effect). You can have tons of latency yet have zero stuttering - in fact online video deliberately adds latency between receiving the data and display to reduce stuttering!
(Sorry, I edited the last post without realising you'd posted..)

OK thanks -  but am I right in saying that the process of solving the microstuttering with Ubershader will introduce some latency of it's own? If not, that would be fantastic.
Pages: 1 2