Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is Micro-stuttering always present
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ubershaders will not introduce latency, that's something else entirely.

They fix the stuttering by running an "ubershader" on the GPU that the emulated gamecube is able to steam to directly without compilation, which brings emulation closer to how the GameCube and Wii work (they have no shaders). The downside is that the ubershader will be more intensive for the GPU thread, and will get more demanding as resolution increases.
I was under the impression that the ubershaders would only be used while waiting for the classical shaders to be compiled, so there wouldn't be any performance hit compared to the current system, as they'd only ever be used when we'd historically have just stalled.
(11-23-2016, 10:03 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]Ubershaders will not introduce latency, that's something else entirely.

They fix the stuttering by running an "ubershader" on the GPU that the emulated gamecube is able to steam to directly without compilation, which brings emulation closer to how the GameCube and Wii work (they have no shaders). The downside is that the ubershader will be more intensive for the GPU thread, and will get more demanding as resolution increases.

Ahh OK thanks very much - so in summing up, am I right to say that as soon as the Ubershader project is fully working, there will be no additional latency apart from the base latency of the emulator and no microstuttering? 

Can I also ask what the latency of Dolphin is, assuming that the PC running it is more than powerful enough and correctly configured?
IIRC dolphin is about one frame/ms (one of those) faster than console on CRT. Don't remember if dolphin was before or after monitor.
(11-23-2016, 11:21 PM)Craftyawesome Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC dolphin is about one frame/ms (one of those) faster than console on CRT. Don't remember if dolphin was before or after monitor.

I'm thinking it must be ms then - A 50/60Hz CRT (before any form of processing was introduced) is in the order of microseconds - so I guess it would be the Gamecube/Wii consoles themselves that are introducing this extra lag that makes Dolphin faster? And if so, how much lag are we talking? I wonder exactly what causes this?

Either way, one millisecond is phenomenal, I had no idea! Certainly undetectable by humans.

So saying all this, would I be correct to say that within, say, the next few years, we'll have Dolphin performing with no microstuttering at all with 1ms of lag? 
(11-23-2016, 04:47 PM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]If the ubershaders project gets finished and merged, sure.

If the ubershaders project gets finished and merged, maybe.

I'm not so sure this will fix all stutter issues ...
(11-24-2016, 12:53 AM)degasus Wrote: [ -> ]If the ubershaders project gets finished and merged, maybe.

I'm not so sure this will fix all stutter issues ...

Cheers - I'm still very interested in why the emulator has lower lag than a CRT setup if anyone who has knowledge of this would be willing to chime in?

[EDIT]: No worries - I checked it out, using 144hz monitors and polling the controllers at a higher rate can reduce the native lag.
Pages: 1 2