Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What do you think about the new vulkan backend
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Also it seems these forms arent as busy as they used to be
I spent all day today playtesting the nvulkan backend in my AMD APU, For the most part, it's a pretty solid backend (at least for for AMD users since open GL drivers are a massive mess). Now, compared to dx11, it's a lot faster (again AMD users). But is not quite there with dx12 wich is at least 10-20 percent faster and more compatible. The games I played were as follows:

Splinter Cell: DX12- 80%-100% @2x Internal Res. Vulkan- Got sound, Black screen no intro, or ingame...unplayable at any Internal Res.

ASB 2004: DX12- 100% flawless @ 2x Internal Res. Vulkan- 100% @ 2x Internal Res. Intro movie Looked Over Pixelated

Batallion Wars: DX12- 90%-100% @ 2x Internal Res. Vulkan- 75%-100% @2x Internal Res. CG movies Stutter

Fire Emblem GC: DX12- 95%-100% @ 2x Internal Res. Vulkan- 75% @ 2x Internal Res. 80%-95% Native Res.

Fire Emblem Wii: DX12- 90%-100% @ 2x Internal Res. Vulkan- 50%-60% @ 2x Internal Res. 75%-85% Native Res.

Mariokart DD: DX12- 95%-100% @ 2x Internal Res. Vulkan- 95%-100% @2x Internal Res.

Starfox Adv.: DX12- 70%-100% Native Res. Vulkan-50-85% Native Res.

Rogue Squadron: DX12- 30%-90% Native Res. Vulkan- Sound, Blackscreen...unplayable.

Settings beside the internal Resolution were set to default. In the vulkan backend, Multithreaded was checked, unchecked would get another 10% slowdown. Also I wouldn' compare OpenGL or DX11 as DX12 has a 40-75 percent increase of speed for me compared to. I could playtest more as I have a pretty good library, but, it's quite obviows that Vulkan still has a pretty ways to go. That being said, Vulkan has a lot of potential, specially for those in the Linux side with AMD. I your on Windows 10 and Using AMD, I'll stick with DX12 if supported by your card, APU.
Haven't bothered. I'm on an nvidia GPU and OpenGL has a lot more attention for bug fixes at the moment. There's little gain for me.
I have a bug to report, but I can't seem to figure out how.
What's the bug?
Nevermind, it was mentioned in the progress report. It was XFB being broken
Haven't bothered and can't test anyway. Both of my GPUs don't provide Vulkan support and OpenGL on my NVIDIA already gives 100% speed in all games I currently own...
Vulkan is not as good as OpenGL yet in terms of compatibility and not as fast as D3D12. It's a good option on Linux for AMD users though. Really the only option for playability.
Vulkan definitely is an improvement for me so far over D3D11. Not getting texture issues that are happening with latest drivers, plus some more speed in Sonic Colors with 60fps hack.

Hoping to see further developement in it; Vulkan and D3D12 APIs both were branched off of Mantle so I'm really hoping it turns into something that just replaces D3D12 as a whole, because that Windows 10 lock screws over Android/Linux big time.
For moment, I get blue screen with Vulkan.
I will wait better improve Vulkan.
Pages: 1 2 3