Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Netplay Wii Saves Build?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Just wondering if there's already a build or if there's soon going to be a build where you can use and play with Wii Save Data on Netplay
For now, this is only possible in 4.0-6502 and older. It will hopefully be changed in the future, but there aren't any clear plans.
Was there any technical reason this was removed in the first place? From what I remember, the reason given at the time was that a lot of people didn't know how to share their wii saves properly or something, so wii saves in netplay were just removed entirely. Which would be incredibly silly. Sharing wii saves was not an issue and didn't randomly not work correctly or anything. I'm guessing there were reasons why it was better to remove it in order to rework the netplay, but now that wiimote netplay is apparently fixed, or close to be, this seems like the most important next step to get done.

diabloterrorgf

Yes, my friend and I just lost 3 hours of work because the new build didn't have any warning besides several changelogs back. Sigh. For me, this was the only thing I used Dolphin for; to play with my friend in netplay in another country otherwise I'd just use my physical Wii.
(09-12-2016, 09:56 AM)tamix Wrote: [ -> ]Was there any technical reason this was removed in the first place? From what I remember, the reason given at the time was that a lot of people didn't know how to share their wii saves properly or something, so wii saves in netplay were just removed entirely. Which would be incredibly silly. Sharing wii saves was not an issue and didn't randomly not work correctly or anything. I'm guessing there were reasons why it was better to remove it in order to rework the netplay, but now that wiimote netplay is apparently fixed, or close to be, this seems like the most important next step to get done.

No.

Wii NAND syncing was making netplay incredibly unstable. So to make it stable, we disabled it in netplay until somebody gets around to properly fixing netplay. It had nothing to do with users. Or very little.

diabloterrorgf

(09-15-2016, 12:47 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]No.

Wii NAND syncing was making netplay incredibly unstable. So to make it stable, we disabled it in netplay until somebody gets around to properly fixing netplay. It had nothing to do with users. Or very little.

Running 4.0-6502 with a friend, it works pretty well.
I have been able to compile a recent build of Dolphin, and I was sort of able to get saves to load online, but not without issues. Does anyone happen to know what would need to be changed in the source code to have the saves working online like in 4.0-6502? I am, of course, just talking about compiling a build for myself, and I also realize that it might too complicated to change it back that easily.
(10-03-2016, 04:40 PM)Super David Wrote: [ -> ]Does anyone happen to know what would need to be changed in the source code to have the saves working online like in 4.0-6502? I am, of course, just talking about compiling a build for myself, and I also realize that it might too complicated to change it back that easily.

A significant change is likely needed, not just replacing this with that and hitting the build button. Wink
(10-03-2016, 04:40 PM)Super David Wrote: [ -> ]I have been able to compile a recent build of Dolphin, and I was sort of able to get saves to load online, but not without issues. Does anyone happen to know what would need to be changed in the source code to have the saves working online like in 4.0-6502? I am, of course, just talking about compiling a build for myself, and I also realize that it might too complicated to change it back that easily.

In Source/Core/Core/HW/HW.cpp, there's a call to InitializeWiiRoot. Replace the "Core::g_want_determinism" in there with "false". I don't know if this will work well, but if there is any simple way to do it, it's likely this.
Won't this make it more likely to desync, though?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6