Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My config is good ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi everybody,

I have a:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @3.0GHz Overclocked 65nm G0

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 5670 1GB@850MHz

RAM: 4GB DDR2

I play with: Zelda Wind Waker Gamecube, Zelda Twilight Princess Wii and Skyward.

I set up video at fullhd without antialiasing, but the problem is especially with Wii games, that fps is 30, in a lot of situation, is 28, 25, 21, so slowdown.

I tried to get a 720p Internal Resolution, but is a little little better.

How can i make a best experience, in fullhd with a decent graphics? ( i have wii but graphics is owful )

note. i see that cpu isn't high, 10, 20%, GPU at 50 60 70%, even 90 100%, but there are these slowdown and i don't understand why Sad
You have a weak CPU, and a weak GPU.

Upgrade the former and you'll get full speed at 1x IR in all games.
Upgrade the latter and you'll be able to turn on more graphical enhancements (higher IRs, anti-aliasing, etc.)

Before you ask, you should upgrade to a Haswell or newer. NOT another Core2Quad.
(07-02-2016, 06:14 AM)robertu Wrote: [ -> ]note. i see that cpu isn't high, 10, 20%, GPU at 50 60 70%, even 90 100%, but there are these slowdown and i don't understand why Sad

Basically what was said above. And to add on to this with your note there, Dolphin uses two hard working threads. Your slow CPU can't deliver the fast single threaded performance Dolphin needs. So throwing more cores at it won't solve anything.

And to preemptively answer your next probable question, no. Some workloads can't just "Use more cores".
(07-02-2016, 06:55 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Basically what was said above. And to add on to this with your note there, Dolphin uses two hard working threads. Your slow CPU can't deliver the fast single threaded performance Dolphin needs. So throwing more cores at it won't solve anything.

And to preemptively answer your next probable question, no. Some workloads can't just "Use more cores".

I dont know but cpu is always at 15 20% in all cores, gpu between 60, 80%, never 100%.

So you think that is cpu ? Also if 2 cores doesnt work very hard?

Can you suggest me best configuration without spend a lot money to play only in fullhd with full speed and good graphic? ( I have full speed 30fps with native resolution, but i looking for fullhd)
(07-02-2016, 06:28 AM)leolam Wrote: [ -> ]You have a weak CPU, and a weak GPU.
[...]
Before you ask, you should upgrade to a Haswell or newer. NOT another Core2Quad.
Helios Wrote:Your slow CPU can't deliver the fast single threaded performance Dolphin needs.

A G3258 (overclocked) + 750 Ti should easily be able to play any games at 3xIR (or even better, depending on the game).
HD 5670 is fine for 1080p . I used to have HD 5770 , it can handle 4xIR(2560x2112)
The only problem here is his CPU which is too old , current dual core Pentium CPU (stock speed) can run Dolphin twice as fast as his CPU does
Quote:I dont know but cpu is always at 15 20% in all cores, gpu between 60, 80%, never 100%.
Dolphin is a dual core application . If you want Dolphin to use more CPU resource , you have to get a graphic card that can support DX12 . Your current graphic card is too old for this
DX12 supports multi-threading
Are you saying
(07-02-2016, 10:19 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]HD 5670 is fine for 1080p . I used to have HD 5770 , it can handle 4xIR(2560x2112)
The only problem here is his CPU which is too old , current dual core Pentium CPU (stock speed) can run Dolphin twice as fast as his CPU does
Dolphin is a dual core application . If you want Dolphin to use more CPU resource , you have to get a graphic card that can support DX12 . Your current graphic card is too old for this
DX12 supports multi-threading

Wait what? I thought Dolphin could only run on 2 cores? 1 for emulating the console CPU and 1 for the console GPU? DX12 allows Dolphin to run the console CPU or GPU on more than 1 core?
Quote:DX12 allows Dolphin to run the console CPU or GPU on more than 1 core?
NO
Quote:DX12 supports multi-threading
My i7 4700MQ 3.4GHz (4 cores 8 threads ) outperforms G4258 @ 4.6GHz (2 cores 2 threads) in DX12 mode
Tested on The Last Story . G3258 has no speed boost in DX12 since it's a dual core while the i7 get 60% speed
Both tested GPU are almost identical
Note though that if you have a strong CPU and GPU, you'll be fine even without DX12. DX12 makes Dolphin more efficient on the CPU, and on the GPU too (IIRC) so you can turn on more enhancements.

Basically, the advice is still the same: upgrade your CPU and GPU. A Haswell or newer for the CPU, with 4 threads or more if you want DX12 and other apps to work well (but again, a G3258 will work just fine), and a recent GPU like the 750 Ti.
About the GPU, you can easily find out by setting the internal resolution to 1x and seeing how your performance compares - if it's barely any better than 3x internal resolution, then it's not your GPU that's at fault, while conversely if it is quite a bit faster then yes your GPU would be the cause.

With regards to the CPU, it actually seems like Dolphin 5.0 loves a large L2 cache so much that any Core 2 CPU may actually have faster per-GHz performance than even Ivy Bridge.

Therefore, if OP wanted to, assuming that his motherboard is compatible, he could buy a used Core 2 Duo E8600 for all of like $15 USD from Ebay or similar and then overclock that.

While it definitely won't be as fast as something like an overclocked Pentium G3258, it's also much much cheaper. Obviously you'd be trading quad core for dual, so OP would have to judge whether their use-cases outside of Dolphin would be better served by a faster dual core or a slower quad core.
Pages: 1 2 3