Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Dolphin Used to Run Faster
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi everyone, I've recently been having trouble with getting decent speed on Dolphin Emulator on my Dell XPS M1530 laptop. The laptop is about 9 years old, but it seems to be holding up against some games that I throw at it. About a year ago, I was running Dolphin on it and it ran my games perfectly. Recently, I downloaded the latest Dolphin revision because I wanted to play GC and Wii in a mobile fashion again. The only problem is that the version I'm trying now is much slower than the version I used a year or so ago. It's a master build, specifically version 4.0-9452. I've tried several things in order to speed up games, but I've had no luck. If anyone has a version that is optimized very well or has any idea how I can get games running full speed once again, please let me know. That would be very appreciated. Thanks, Ryan.
http://delroth.net/dolphin-benchmark.html

No, it didn't use to run faster.
yay empirical data instead of speculation.
(06-18-2016, 07:48 AM)delroth Wrote: [ -> ]http://delroth.net/dolphin-benchmark.html

No, it didn't use to run faster.

Sorry, I meant it used to run faster for my specific machine, not the emulator in general for everyone.
It's possible your laptop is getting clogged with dust and throttling more? Maybe trying cleaning it out a bit and seeing if that helps?
(06-18-2016, 08:20 AM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]It's possible your laptop is getting clogged with dust and throttling more? Maybe trying cleaning it out a bit and seeing if that helps?

Ok, seems like a good idea. It also gets very hot also, so that could be a problem with dust under the hood too. I'll check, thanks.
I'm guessing their GPU is getting slaughtered by Dolphin.

You're right, it did used to run faster. On GPU. But then it got slower on GPU for accuracy (But faster on CPU)

Try playing at 1x native resolution.
(06-18-2016, 08:26 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]I'm guessing their GPU is getting slaughtered by Dolphin.

You're right, it did used to run faster. On GPU. But then it got slower on GPU for accuracy (But faster on CPU)

Try playing at 1x native resolution.

Yes, I think Dolphin is indeed slaughtering my GPU since it's so old, but it definitely has been able to handle Dolphin with no problems in the past. Even at 1x native, it still stutters a little. If I change one little setting, it either helps or hurts. So I don't know.
Sounds about right. The change to integer math probably destroyed your GPU.

Use 4.0.2 and just deal with the slowness I guess.

Unfortunately, soon (hopefully lol) we'll be releasing 5.0 and you won't be able to get any help on the forums with 4.0.2
(06-18-2016, 08:46 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds about right. The change to integer math probably destroyed your GPU.

Use 4.0.2 and just deal with the slowness I guess.

Unfortunately, soon (hopefully lol) we'll be releasing 5.0 and you won't be able to get any help on the forums with 4.0.2

I'm actually pretty excited for 5.0 because that'll probably open up doors for more compatibility, so we'll see. Hopefully.
Pages: 1 2 3