Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Super Paper Mario - how to disable Bounding Box?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
AA and scalling causing crash ? Oo
(05-31-2016, 08:03 AM)IcemanSR Wrote: [ -> ]AA and scalling causing crash ? Oo

Yep, those were 100% the only settings I changed. Not sure why, but when he says the "Sammer Ho" or whatever it is it summons a looad of minions and so maybe it's just a really long hand instead of a crash per se
What did you set AA and screen scaling to?
(05-31-2016, 08:08 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]What did you set AA and screen scaling to?

1440p, 8x SSAA
yeahhhhhhhhhhh.

8x SSAA when your internal resolution is already at 1440p is WAY too much for your GPU to handle.

SSAA is very different and WAY more intensive than MSAA. It means Supersample Anti-aliasing. Render everything 8x bigger than your internal resolution and then downscale it using fancy algorithms-that-make-it-pretty, then display on screen.

So... You were doing 1440p x 8 lol.

Combine that with bounding box which needs to do some special tricks and you're going to have a bad time.
(05-31-2016, 08:14 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]yeahhhhhhhhhhh.

8x SSAA when your internal resolution is already at 1440p is WAY too much for your GPU to handle.

SSAA is very different and WAY more intensive than MSAA. It means Supersample Anti-aliasing. Render everything 8x bigger than your internal resolution and then downscale it using fancy algorithms-that-make-it-pretty, then display on screen.

So... You were doing 1440p x 8 lol.

Combine that with bounding box which needs to do some special tricks and you're going to have a bad time.

I mean it worked great for the rest of the game Tongue 60fps pretty much constantly so I guess if I run into any issues again I'll just try disabling that. Thanks a lot for the support tho!
I imagine D3D12 was doing some tricks to take some shortcuts so you didn't notice, but bounding box is bounding box and can't really be cheated.

OpenGL should be a lot faster if you just keep your IR to 1440p, and probably don't push SSAA above 2x, or use MSAA, which is a lot less intensive.

D3D12 is still our fastest backend though for most games.
(05-31-2016, 08:21 AM)Helios Wrote: [ -> ]I imagine D3D12 was doing some tricks to take some shortcuts so you didn't notice, but bounding box is bounding box and can't really be cheated.

OpenGL should be a lot faster if you just keep your IR to 1440p, and probably don't push SSAA above 2x, or use MSAA, which is a lot less intensive.

D3D12 is still our fastest backend though for most games.

What is bounding box? Graphics is the one area about programming I know the least about and it's nice to learn new things.

I'll use MSAA8x going forwards then Smile
I'm not a graphics person either, but the layperson's term of what bbox is is it just being a GPU trick we need to do to correctly emulate certain things that exist in about a dozen games that we're aware of. Paper Mario uses it a ton with the flip effects.
I'm just spamming yes, but Dolphin is warning me than an error occured in like 31 of VertexShaderGen.cpp a lot during the end of 6-2 (_assert_(bpmem.genMode.numcolchans == xfmem.numChan.numColorChans); )

Just thought I'd let someone know, but it's probably ignorable.
Pages: 1 2 3 4