Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Prefetch Custom Textures RAM problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
How much ram do I need for using prefetch textures. I have 16 GB of ram, but when I play xenoblade chronicles, I get a message saying : "Custom Textures prefetching after 8164.3MB aborted, no enough RAM available"  But I check teskmanager and I still had alot of ram left over. Why's it doing this? Why does it stop at 8 GB when I have 16 GB ram? I never had this problem on the build where the feature was introduced
Am using Dolphin 4.0-6028
Maybe This is a limitation to preserve ram on your computer i also have this i have a 4gb ram and i cannot use the 2gb zelda wind waker hd texture pack
and xenoblade chronicles has a huge hd texture and you maybe need more ram
or just try close every useless apps on your pc
or you have to keep with the texture load stutering:i not good at english so sorry if i write something wrong
(07-03-2015, 04:22 AM)daniellegal Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe This is a limitation to preserve ram on your computer i also have this i have a 4gb ram and i cannot use the 2gb zelda wind waker hd texture pack

This is exactly why. Dolphin won't let you load a texture pack that is bigger than half of your total RAM. It's a safeguard against people accidentally filling the entire RAM and making bad things happen, though I have to agree that it can get annoying...
(07-03-2015, 04:50 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]This is exactly why. Dolphin won't let you load a texture pack that is bigger than half of your total RAM. It's a safeguard against people accidentally filling the entire RAM and making bad things happen, though I have to agree that it can get annoying...

Is there a way to unlock that limit? I know that the Insaneslug pack for Twilight Princess fills 5GB of RAM, and just running Dolpin and nothing else I can get away with it, with around 1GB of unused RAM Tongue .
(07-03-2015, 05:50 AM)masterotaku Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a way to unlock that limit? I know that the Insaneslug pack for Twilight Princess fills 5GB of RAM, and just running Dolpin and nothing else I can get away with it, with around 1GB of unused RAM Tongue .

If you compile Dolphin on your own, you can edit this line: https://github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/b...s.cpp#L143

For instance, if you want it to use at most 70% of your RAM, use this:
Code:
size_t max_mem = MemPhysical() / 10 * 7;
(07-03-2015, 06:19 AM)JosJuice Wrote: [ -> ]For instance, if you want it to use at most 70% of your RAM, use:
Quote:size_t max_mem = MemPhysical() / 10 * 7

Does setting "size_t max_mem" to "0" *** mean Dolphin is allowed to use up to 100% of the system RAM, including virtual memory / swap / pagefile ?
(*** as seen in the Unofficial build - Ishiiruka)
Can this issue be fixed in the next build of dolphin please. Can it be fix to use all the ram that is installed with out having to use virtual memory and end up trashing the hard drive. What I mean is have dolphin to disable prefetch textures only when it has no more ram to use. Also if possible can it be better optimized to use less ram? I don't want to have to upgrade to 32 Gb of ram when 16 Gb is overkill enough for alot of games.
If you think it's an easy issue to just be fixed immediately, why don't you take a jab at it? I hate to go that route, but I think if it were an easily solvable problem, that someone would have at least taken a look at it. The decoded textures take up a lot more room than the textures stored on disk, so I'm not entirely sure this is Dolphin's problem. It definitely could be, but, if so, how/why? Why just this texture pack?
If you let Dolphin use your entire system RAM, your computer will crash immediately. I've never seen any program that was allowed to use more than half of a system's RAM, and for good reason. But I agree with JMC47--go on GitHub and make a PR if you think you have the solution.
(07-03-2015, 08:44 AM)kirbypuff Wrote: [ -> ]Does setting "size_t max_mem" to "0" *** mean Dolphin is allowed to use up to 100% of the system RAM, including virtual memory / swap / pagefile ?
(*** as seen in the Unofficial build - Ishiiruka)

No, it means that Dolphin is allowed to use 0 bytes of RAM.
Pages: 1 2