Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Prefetch Custom Textures RAM problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(07-03-2015, 08:26 PM)Kurausukun Wrote: [ -> ]If you let Dolphin use your entire system RAM, your computer will crash immediately.

No it wouldn't, it would either start using virtual memory or close the program with an out of memory error.
Well, i would allow Dolphin to use RAM - 1GB, because the system plus Dolphin itself should fit into muss less than 1GB. If you have a lot of background tasks open, you'd run into horrible performance problems because of the virtual memory that would be used in this case. Hmm, and maybe Windows might screw this up, because it might panic with less than 1 GB free and shuffle something to the virtual memory to free up physical memory. I wouldn't know, because my Windows is not allowed to use virtual memory, not even on my 2GB notebook.

Anyways, i haven't looked at the code, but i think Dolphin might not rescale very large textures. If the texture pack is created for 6xIR, and you are only running 3xIR, it might keep the textures in 6xIR size instead of downscaling them. If this is happening right now, the workaround would be to shrink the textures in the texture pack to match the desired resolution.

PS: The example 6xIR vs 3xIR would mean that the memory usage is 4 times as big as it should be
in reality windows would probably tell you that you downloaded a virus and shut down
Not sure if I should create a new thread but prefetch just recently acted up on me.
It would crash Dolphin after a few seconds of loading a game.(specifically Twilight Princess for GC)
(07-03-2015, 04:04 AM)Lumbeeslayer Wrote: [ -> ]How much ram do I need for using prefetch textures. I have 16 GB of ram, but when I play xenoblade chronicles, I get a message saying : "Custom Textures prefetching after 8164.3MB aborted, no enough RAM available"  But I check teskmanager and I still had alot of ram left over. Why's it doing this? Why does it stop at 8 GB when I have 16 GB ram? I never had this problem on the build where the feature was introduced
Am using Dolphin 4.0-6028

I have the same problem. My PC has 16GB of RAM and Dolphin stops prefetching after a few minutes when it hits 8GB :S

ayeh

hello all,

i'm super new to dolphin so please excuse my lack of expertise (sorry!) so i'm trying to play paper mario: the thousand year door with custom textures. my graphics settings were initially set to "prefetch custom textures" and "load custom textures", but dolphin would crash every time i opened it with an error with "crashed thread: prefetch 14/15/16" so i turned off "prefetch custom textures" and it worked a little better. however, after entering rogueport and entering west rogueport, the game crashed in the transition between the two areas.

this is especially odd because it has worked perfectly fine before. i haven't added new textures since the crashing started. i'm currently on dolphin 5 (the latest build) on macbook (x64, i believe).

i heard this was a problem with storage space, but the problem is my texture pack is only around 25 mb and my computer has 17 gb of overall storage left. my RAM memory is 8 gb and i have about 2 gb of free space; i read that this happens because of low RAM storage but i don't think 25 mb of textures can take up all that space, even if decompressed later on. anyway, does anyone know how i could possibly fix this? any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Please see our rules about necroposting:

Quote:Necroposting: Do not revive a discussion older than 6 months unless your post adds something meaningful or otherwise contributes to the thread. Please create a new thread about your subject instead. Threads violating this rule will be closed. Stickied threads, Game Discussion threads, and HD Texture threads are exempt, however, and users can freely post there regardless of how old the topics are.

It would be best to make a new thread in the Support Forum.
Pages: 1 2