Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What is better Sonic Heroes for PC or GC emulated?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
I own sonic heroes for gc but I imagine the PC version is more optimized but I've read that it doesn't support resolutions higher than 720p plus it's only 4:3 aspect ration.

Which one do you think is best? How's Sonic Heroes running as for the latest builds?

i7 4770
2x r9 290
Sonic Heroes runs pretty well in Dolphin with the Widescreen Hack and resolutions greater than 720p. Dunno much about the PC version, but I'm guessing it doesn't have an option for save states or going "turbo" (unlocking the frame cap to run the game really fast). No reason to buy the same game twice imo if the differences aren't going to be that noticeable. Personally, I've never been tempted to buy the PC version of any Sonic game I've owned.
I've played the PC version! I don't remember it's aspect ration and resolution support, but what I remember the most is it's controller support - awful. Awful awful awful!

Googling around, there are some widescreen hacks for the PC version on the PCgaming wiki entry for Sonic Heroes.

But honestly, it doesn't sound like the PC version would give you any advantages over the Dolphin version. Well, it might be easier to run the native PC version?
You still can't use AA in Sonic Heroes without triggering the black floors bug, sadly, but does the PC version even work with Windows Vista/7/8? Some of Sega's other early PC ports don't work correctly unless you're on XP or earlier, and Sonic Heroes is from around that time period. Dolphin has the advantage of being more future proof, since it requires Vista or later now. If you have a PC capable of running it, you might as well go for the GC version. If the AA bug ever gets fixed, it'll look better than the PC version and perform just as well.
(02-14-2015, 03:10 PM)Aleron Ives Wrote: [ -> ]You still can't use AA in Sonic Heroes without triggering the black floors bug

Dolphin has an FXAA shader that shouldn't mess with anything. At least it's some AA as opposed to none.
Sonic Heroes on PC is 10 times better than on Emulator, i could change the resolution to 4K with a file
i could even force the HBAO+ from nvidia + sweetfx :] LOOKS GREAT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_ikI-EDQs0 take a look 

here is resolution fix for sonic heroes http://thirteenag.github.io/widescreen_f...onicheroes

the same just like sonic advanture 2 & Sonic generations on PC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsJm0TygUq8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-os6zcKd7c
The PC version is not 10x, but 100x better:

* Much higher polygon count than the GC version. The difference is HUGE
* Extremely high quality textures [compared to the pixelated (super low-res), highly compressed (worse colors), blurry (linear filtered) garbage that's in the GC version]
* Higher quality stencil shadows
* Superior audio quality
* Smoother framerate (min. FPS never dips beow 60).
* Supports 4K+, 16:9 or 21:9 (with a patch) and downsampling / post-processing (with GeDoSaTo).

NOTE: The PC version supports only up to 4xAF, but you can force 16xAF in your GPU control panel for 'perfect' image quality (it's a HUGE difference).
NOTE2: Need better pad support? If the built-in DInput pad support isn't working for you, you can always use something like JoyToKey, Xpadder, Joy2Key or X360CE.
Ive been playing a lot of games from that generation and its something I always have to contemplate. Even if the PC versions look better (thats debatable when there are no widescreen resolutions), console versions have better gamepad support, savestates and rumble. Also most importantly console versions are made in mind with playing on a coach, on PC you sure as hell will have to get up to your keyboard a number of times.

Sonic Generations though is far superior on the PC, the 60 FPS and lack of input lag makes it feel like a new game.
(02-15-2015, 12:49 AM)kirbypuff Wrote: [ -> ]Finally, force 16xAF in your GPU control panel for 'perfect' graphics (it's a HUGE difference).
Uh, Dolphin already lets you force 16x AF in any game.

(02-14-2015, 06:57 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin has an FXAA shader that shouldn't mess with anything. At least it's some AA as opposed to none.
Confirmed. The text becomes grainy and harder to read, but the 3D graphics get a little smoother without causing the bug.
While kirbypuff and CryZENx have good points, I don't think they quite justify buying the game all over again. Even if you manage to catch it for $5, if it's not going to blow the Dolphin version clear out of the water, I'd rather put down my wallet. That's just me though.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6