Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is this Graphics Card Good Enough For Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Morning all,

Best Buy has an EVGA - GeForce GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card on sale for $120.  The specs are:  2GB GDDR5 memory; PCI Express 3.0 interface; HDMI, DVI-I, DVI-D and DisplayPort 1.2 interfaces; Superclocked+ design; 192-bit memory; NVIDIA Adaptive Vertical Sync.  Newegg says it's Factory overclocked at 1046MHz .  I'm assuming this is discontinued as newegg says it's unavailable.  The BB by me has them in stock still.  I'm cobbling together parts for a build and this seemed to be a reasonable price for a GPU.  My PC will ONLY be used for emulators but Dolphin is my main priority.  I want to reduce the systems I have under the TV.  Any advice would be great as I'm a little lost when it comes to GPUs.  Thanks.
That GPU is more than enough for Dolphin, but may not be the best investment, as it's already out of date. In fact, its replacement's replacement, the GTX 960, is set to be released in 5 days. I'd at least wait until then and see how much that costs if you're looking at that price range.
Honestly the GTX 960 is overpriced for it's specs. Unless Nvidia pulls some magic out of nowhere a R9-280 will probably be better.
Its price hasn't been announced yet. Leaks are pointing to a lower release price than the 760 and 660.
Leaked prices that I've seen are ~200
The 750 Ti is better than that card, and yes, I would also wait for the price of the 960 to be revealed.
(01-18-2015, 05:21 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]That GPU is more than enough for Dolphin, but may not be the best investment, as it's already out of date. In fact, its replacement's replacement, the GTX 960, is set to be released in 5 days. I'd at least wait until then and see how much that costs if you're looking at that price range.

Thanks. I can't imagine the replacement card will be as low as this however. Plus with my BB certs I'll have another $20 knocked off. I guess I'm not concerned (per say) with it being out of date. I don't intend to do any PC gaming, just emulation. Dolphin and PSX2 being the most intensive. Right now I have a working Saturn, Dreamcast, Wii, and GameCube that I'd like to pack up and put away. That's what this machine is intended to replace (along with all the old school systems like Genesis, SNES, etc.)
(01-18-2015, 05:42 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]The 750 Ti is better than that card, and yes, I would also wait for the price of the 960 to be revealed.

You sure about that? 750 Ti has slightly higher texture rate, but the 660 takes it when it comes to GFLOPS, pixel rate, memory bandwidth, and memory bus size. It also gets 11 more FPS in Crysis 3 according to AnandTech's DX11 benchmark. I'm also seeing several other sources saying that the 660 has better specs and provides better real world performance, including GeForce's own website.

One source: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1039?vs=1130

Personally, I think for the price of that 660 it would be hard to beat without paying a fair chunk more.
(01-18-2015, 02:07 PM)shreduhsoreus Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2015, 05:42 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]The 750 Ti is better than that card, and yes, I would also wait for the price of the 960 to be revealed.

You sure about that? 750 Ti has slightly higher texture rate, but the 660 takes it when it comes to GFLOPS, pixel rate, memory bandwidth, and memory bus size. It also gets 11 more FPS in Crysis 3 according to AnandTech's DX11 benchmark. I'm also seeing several other sources saying that the 660 has better specs and provides better real world performance, including  GeForce's own website.

One source: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1039?vs=1130

Personally, I think for the price of that 660 it would be hard to beat without paying a fair chunk more.

Well, I bought the one I was asking about. I can return it within 45 days if I change my mind. There were only two stores by me that had it in stock and one was out of stock by the time I ordered it. Hopefully the other one still has it in stock and their inventory system isn't delayed. I figure my system will cost me:

g3258 - $70
MSI z97 ATX - $90
GeForce GTX 660 - $120
Corsair H80i - $88
Memory - $75
Corsair Builder 600W PSU - $70
Case - ??

So for around $600 I can get a decent Dolphin system. I have a 1TB hard drive I can take from another machine.
Nice specs Wink, no luck on the microcenter combo?
Pages: 1 2 3 4