Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why just for x64?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

BladeMight

In the new versions of dolphin have some jit cpu changes that increases performance up to 26%, this is maken by fiora, right? can someone make an x86 version of this fix? Because the dolphins are now just x64. ・_・
Thanks.
That's the problem, those optimizations wouldn't work on x86.
Yeah, that huge performance boost is partially (mostly?) due to dropping x86. It wasn't dropped for no reason, it was holding back the emulator!

BladeMight

So i cant do anything?
Also what speed will be if my PC specs are:
CPU 2.5GHz
Nvidia GT 220 512 mb
2gb ram
P.s. Its really become faster?
Yep

If you install x64 Windows onto that, you will notice a big improvement over 4.0.
(10-03-2014, 07:45 PM)BladeMight Wrote: [ -> ]So i cant do anything?
Also what speed will be if my PC specs are:
CPU 2.5GHz
Nvidia GT 220 512 mb
2gb ram
P.s. Its really become faster?

You could reinstall windows 7 to x64 version, it is free to do it. And yes it is usually at least 30% faster here compared to 4.0.2.

BladeMight

x64 have some difference in usable?
(10-03-2014, 08:13 PM)BladeMight Wrote: [ -> ]x64 have some difference in usable?

You might find it helpful to read the blog post they made back in May, Obituary for 32-bit. Jist is 32-bit is slower, harder to maintain, and almost all new CPUs support 64-bit. In later blog posts they also state how various other optimizations/fixes would be much harder/impossible in 32-bit, making 64-bit just all around better. Plus by having a 64-bit OS you get all the other benefits, such as more addressable memory space.
You may want to upgrade your RAM if you upgrade to a 64-bit OS. 64bit OS's consume more RAM then their 32-ibt counter parts. a fresh install of Windows 7 32-bit (when SP1 had just came out) was just under 900mb, and the 64-bit version was 1.1GB.

idling my PC uses about 1.4GB these days, i have more running then just the OS however. anyway my point being. you may run into RAM issues when playing Dolphin with only 2GB of RAM, a dev would know better than i, i have not checked Dolphins RAM usage
Dolphin has a low RAM impact, and I have played Dolphin on 64-bit with only 2 GB of RAM.
However, running anything else besides Dolphin usually goes over the 2 GB RAM, and makes the computer really slow and lags. You will want to upgrade to 4 GB of RAM.

@BladeMight, what is your specific CPU model? That is the real factor in speed here. (If you don't know, click on the Start Button, right-click on Computer, and click on Properties)
Pages: 1 2 3