Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why just for x64?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Btw we wrote an article explaining our reasoning for dropping 32-bit.

https://dolphin-emu.org/blog/2014/05/19/obituary-32bit/
Thats really not good , I have tablet with windows 8.1 x86 ...
Dolphin 4.0 performance is really so bad ! 3.0 works great , but will we never get a newer version for x86 in future?
No. And if your tablet run the 32-bit version of Windows 8.1, it's surely capable of running 64-bit version too (you can use the same license/Product Key). Update to a 64-bit OS to enjoy the latest improvements made to Dolphin, otherwise, deal with it...
Some tablets have a Windows license that does not work with x64 versions of Windows, unfortunately.
(10-08-2014, 06:45 AM)JMC47 Wrote: [ -> ]Some tablets have a Windows license that does not work with x64 versions of Windows, unfortunately.

Are you sure? As far as I know, even the Windows 8/8.1 Single Language (the most basic edition, generally targeted at emerging countries) allow reinstalling a 64-bit variant with the same license...
That's what I read, but I didn't care enough to save the source or anything. Maybe it was some tablets having 32bit only processors? I don't know; I remember the licenses being 32bit only, or something...
I believe MS does issue specific keys for tablet and other closed hardware OEM products. They've been doing this for a while with OEM pre built machines. The idea is that if ships with 32bit, in many cases t has too do with compatibility issues due to old 32bit only drivers. The same goes with tablets, which may not function completely with the 64bit variant of windows. Thus the key is locked down.
Pretty much all x86 tablets have 64 bit cpus. Including Haseebs (bay trail). Although the chipset might not be 64 bit.
(10-08-2014, 01:10 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty much all x86 tablets have 64 bit cpus. Including Haseebs (bay trail). Although the chipset might not be 64 bit.

Problem is the overarching setup ( including other components) may not be compatible with a 64 bit setup. If it was just a CPU requirement they would all be shipping with 64 bit windows.
The tablets have 64-bit CPUs and are compatible with 64-bit Windows, but they ship with 32-bit Windows because it let's them get away with less ram. 64-bit Windows does not run well on 2GB of ram (take it from experience) but 32-bit Windows does. Basically, it's a cost thing.
Pages: 1 2 3