Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Why just for x64?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Major Wrote:The tablets have 64-bit CPUs and are compatible with 64-bit Windows, but they ship with 32-bit Windows because it let's them get away with less ram. 64-bit Windows does not run well on 2GB of ram (take it from experience) but 32-bit Windows does. Basically, it's a cost thing.

This is the correct answer. 4GB takes up a lot of space unless you use very high density ICs. Which are still fairly pricey.

The chipset might also not support 64 bit as was the case for early netbooks with 64 bit cpus. But I suspect it does. Drivers are a non issue. Even if they don't exist that's only because they have no reason to make them if a 64 bit OS isn't going to be used by the OEM. Considering the desktop/nettop bay trail platform uses pretty much the exact same hardware Intel probably already has 64 bit drivers for the wifi module, gpu, and everything else anyways. If they don't they could easily make them in a heartbeat if any OEMs asked for them. This makes memory limitations the most likely culprit. Especially since we saw OEMs do the same thing back when netbooks and low end laptops only had 2GB of ram.
Thank you for help guys but unfortunately There is no such update for "Lenovo Miix 2 8" Sad
It has x86 based processor.
The Lenovo Miix 2 8 uses an Atom Z3740. The Atom Z3740 has 64-bit compatibility according to Intel. And according to that review, it has 2GB of ram. This is the exact scenario me and NV described above.

The CPU can run 64-bit software just fine. Whether that specific tablet can run Windows x64 well or not is another matter. It could run it, even if badly.
(10-08-2014, 09:20 PM)MaJoR Wrote: [ -> ]The Lenovo Miix 2 8 uses an Atom Z3740. The Atom Z3740 has 64-bit compatibility according to Intel. And according to that review, it has 2GB of ram. This is the exact scenario me and NV described above.

The CPU can run 64-bit software just fine. Whether that specific tablet can run Windows x64 well or not is another matter. It could run it, even if badly.

Wow thanks for info guys Smile So how do I update from x86 to x64 ? I googled it but seems like every system has a different way to update the bios.
You need to update windows to x64, not the bios... Just reinstall them and there should be an option about using x86 or x64 during the installation.
I've already reinstalled the windows once , there wasn't any option to change it into x64 version.
(10-09-2014, 11:06 PM)Haseeb Wrote: [ -> ]I've already reinstalled the windows once , there wasn't any option to change it into x64 version.

My Windows 7 DVD says x64 on it, so i'm assuming it's x64 only. And i can't remember there being an x86 option. But the statement, about one license for 32 bit and 64 bit, seems to be true. So if you get your hands on a Windows 7 64 bit install dvd, you should be able to try your luck with that.
Pages: 1 2 3