Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Multiple machines and OS's
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just wondering how well Dolphin runs on some old equipment

So far I've only tested on a laptop with a t9100 dual core, 4 gig ram and 8700m NVidia gpu
results are mixed, but for the most part still playable.

Untested

Win 7 x64 w/8gig memory, dual NVidia 560ti sli amd 6 core 1090T processor (asus m3n2)

2 Linux Mint 16 x64 boxes 1st 20 gig memory dual xeon 5360 (8 core @ 2.66) NVidia gt640
2nd 6 gig memory dual xeon 5310 (8 core @ 1.66) Nvidia gt 640

HP xw8400 workstation
Well first off, there's no such CPU as a T9100. You may mean a derivative around there. Even still, that class of Intel CPUs came out around 2008. So for Dolphin, they're going to be slow. And the 8700m is an old and slow card. Don't expect manygraphical enhancement.

The computer with the 1090T will perform better than the laptop. The CPU is stronger in terms of single-core performance (what Dolphin needs), and the GPU is way stronger (but it will only use one of the cards, there's no SLI support)

There's no such thing as a Xeon 5360. Do you mean the Xeon X5365? It should perform about the same as the 1090T. The GPU is a bit weaker, so you won't be able to raise the enhancements as much.
The Xeon 5310 is weaker then both of the other desktops
(02-26-2014, 03:27 AM)KHg8m3r Wrote: [ -> ]Well first off, there's no such CPU as a T9100. You may mean a derivative around there. Even still, that class of Intel CPUs came out around 2008. So for Dolphin, they're going to be slow. And the 8700m is an old and slow card. Don't expect manygraphical enhancement.

The computer with the 1090T will perform better than the laptop. The CPU is stronger in terms of single-core performance (what Dolphin needs), and the GPU is way stronger (but it will only use one of the cards, there's no SLI support)

There's no such thing as a Xeon 5360. Do you mean the Xeon X5365? It should perform about the same as the 1090T. The GPU is a bit weaker, so you won't be able to raise the enhancements as much.
The Xeon 5310 is weaker then both of the other desktops

My bad a t9100 is the itanium series from intel, but the laptop is a t8100

The fact that I was able to run with an acceptable frame rate is a good indication that the desktop machine should be able to handle.
According to some benchmarks for the gt 640 put is moderately more capable than the 8700M gpu.
the 5360 is actually a X5360 a pair of 4 core running at 2.66 g
Sorry, should have specified that the GT 640 is weaker than GTX 560 Ti, and yes, stronger than the 8700M

http://ark.intel.com/products/series/308...300-Series
Its not a listed part. I would double check, but I'm pretty sure you're just mistaking for some other part (the X5355 is actually closer to what you're describing than the X5365)
Dolphin is a dual core application . Don't expect Dolphin will run well on old hardware . Especially , old CPUs
(02-26-2014, 07:55 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Dolphin is a dual core application . Don't expect Dolphin will run well on old hardware . Especially , old CPUs

That is sort of a disappointment, I was sort of hoping it would do load balancing across multiple cores. However since it currently maxes out the old laptop but it does run I would expect better performance on any of the desktops the desktops. Thanks for all the feedback, I'll have to install on the win 7 box and also on the Linux boxes once I figure how to get cmake to run.
Here is our benchmark data
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ne...e-required
Everyone is free to join the benchmark
(02-26-2014, 08:29 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]Here is our benchmark data
https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-ne...e-required

did a test run w/ resident evil 1, near full screen, aa at 4 and other setting at mid (af ?) got 60 fps, 80 % 2x core utilization with the gpu barly exceeding 100 F

I guess I need a tougher game to test against, any suggestions? however this test alone tells me the current machine can handle the task.
Everyone is free to join the benchmark
Quote: I guess I need a tougher game to test against, any suggestions?
Light-weight games : Muramasa the demon blade , New Super Mario Bros , Smash Bros Melee / Brawl ....(Recommend : Pentium Haswell G3220 or better CPU)
Mid : Xenoblade , Pandora Tower , Mario Party 9 ... (Recommend : i3 4130 or better CPU)
Demanding games : Zelda SS , Zelda TP (Hyrule Field slowdown) , Mario Galaxy (1&2) , Metroid Prime series .... (Recommend i5 4670k + Overclocking)
(02-27-2014, 01:28 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: I guess I need a tougher game to test against, any suggestions?
Light-weight games : Muramasa the demon blade , New Super Mario Bros , Smash Bros Melee / Brawl ....(Recommend : Pentium Haswell G3220 or better CPU)
Mid : Xenoblade , Pandora Tower , Mario Party 9 ... (Recommend : i3 4130 or better CPU)
Demanding games : Zelda SS , Zelda TP (Hyrule Field slowdown) , Mario Galaxy (1&2) , Metroid Prime series .... (Recommend i5 4670k + Overclocking)

Uhm.... I understand that Zelda TP is on your demanding games list, but Skyward Sword?.... That doesn't even need LLE. I have friends that run SS full speed on Phenom II's.
Pages: 1 2