Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Best AMD AM3+ CPU under 140 watts?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I currently have an FX-6300 which is apparently terrible for Dolphin. I'm not looking to upgrade my MOBO which supports up to 140 watts. I think that leaves me with the options of 6350, 8320, and 8350 (or anything else I've missed) for an upgrade. I probably do not plan on overclocking. Ignoring price, which is the best for Dolphin?
You've got to be kidding . The FX-6300 is extremely good at overclocking , even better than FX-6350 and the rest
Keep in mind that Dolphin is a dual core application . More core does not mean you will get more speed in Dolphin . Apparently , current AMD CPUs are bad at single threaded performance . Therefore , All AMD CPU have terrible performance with dolphin - demanding games .
Base on Dolphin Benchmark : Dolphin Benchmark and Zelda WW Benchmark , i3 4130 (130$) blow FX 8350 out of the water . If you on a low budget , you can just grab i3 4130 or Pentium G3420 ~ 87$ (which is an i3 without hyperthreading ) + H81 mobo
(01-24-2014, 12:56 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]You've got to be kidding . The FX-6300 is extremely good at overclocking , even better than FX-6350 and the rest
Keep in mind that Dolphin is a dual core application . More core does not mean you will get more speed in Dolphin . Apparently , current AMD CPUs are bad at single threaded performance . Therefore , All AMD CPU have terrible performance with dolphin - demanding games .
Base on Dolphin Benchmark : Dolphin Benchmark and Zelda WW Benchmark , i3 4130 (130$) blow FX 8350 out of the water . If you on a low budget , you can just grab i3 4130 or Pentium G3420 ~ 87$ (which is an i3 without hyperthreading ) + H81 mobo

Every thread in this forum has people bashing the FX-6300. I'm not really looking to build a whole new computer for the sole purpose of using Dolphin, so I'm sticking with my current mobo. The base clock speed for the 8350 is .5GHZ faster. I realize more cores don't mean anything for Dolphin, but wouldn't that boost make a difference? The AMD FX CPUs are in the second tier of the CPU Hierarchy, but everybody says the 6300 doesn't belong in that category. Which ones do??
Quote:the CPU Hierarchy ... category... bla blah blah
Does the real world benchmark mean nothing to you ? We have 2 benchmarks here , not some kind of theory . Even the owner of that thread (CPU Hierarchy) admited that he didn't have time update / fix the info in that thread . Second tier means nothing here . Dolphin get more demanding over time . Even i3 4130 / i5 4670k (stock speed ) are not good enough for some demanding games , let alone a weaker CPU like FX-8350 (Dolphin and single threaded apps only) . Most of the time , i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz is recommended
Quote:The base clock speed for the 8350 is .5GHZ faster
The improvement you're looking for ain't 10->20FPS gain but only 5 FPS (may be a little bit more or less)
Hell , if i was you , i would overclock FX 6300 @ 4.5GHz and it should outperform FX 8350 @ 4.0GHz (4.2GHz turbo actually) due to Zelda WW benchmark data . The main problem is you - yourself . You don't want to overclock . If you do , you will save yourself couple of hundred bucks
Edit : Fixxed typo : FX 6350 -> FX 6300 . Yeah , FX 6350 has higher clock speed but it's a downgrade when it comes to overclocking
@scubalism - The CPU Hiearchy thread is actually somewhat controversial (read some of the pages in that thread discussing the matter) as some of the classifications could be seen by some as misleading (and it has in fact mislead people who don't properly understand the idea behind each classification). If you're looking for raw comparisons of CPU microarchitectures, admin89 already linked you to the two benchmarks we've performed, and those (especially the first link) should offer you an up-to-date idea about how CPUs perform in Dolphin.

That said, you're going to be throwing money away if you update to another FX CPU. The performance increases you'd get, even with overclocking, will greatly pale in comparison to what you'd get if you got a new mobo and an i3-4130 like admin89 suggested. It's seriously worth it to just save up some money if you're looking to adequately play Dolphin.
admin89, i think you're trying to be helpful, but you're being such a dick its hard to say thanks...

(01-24-2014, 02:09 AM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]@scubalism - The CPU Hiearchy thread is actually somewhat controversial (read some of the pages in that thread discussing the matter) as some of the classifications could be seen by some as misleading (and it has in fact mislead people who don't properly understand the idea behind each classification). If you're looking for raw comparisons of CPU microarchitectures, admin89 already linked you to the two benchmarks we've performed, and those (especially the first link) should offer you an up-to-date idea about how CPUs perform in Dolphin.

That said, you're going to be throwing money away if you update to another FX CPU. The performance increases you'd get, even with overclocking, will greatly pale in comparison to what you'd get if you got a new mobo and an i3-4130 like admin89 suggested. It's seriously worth it to just save up some money if you're looking to adequately play Dolphin.

thank you
I'm not helping anyone to deserve gratitude . I don't care if someone hate me . I'm saying the truth , and the truth does hurt people feeling
I'm not really good at explaining stuffs nor being a native English speaker . I apologize for that
You're fine, and certainly not being disk-ish. He's just taking the facts personally.
(01-24-2014, 03:16 AM)AnyOldName3 Wrote: [ -> ]You're fine, and certainly not being disk-ish. He's just taking the facts personally.

I'm not taking it personally. I'm just asking for help and information without getting attitude. If you can't tell the difference in tone between the posts of admin89 and shonumi, you're an idiot...

don't take that personally, its just the facts
(01-24-2014, 03:35 AM)scubaslim Wrote: [ -> ]don't take that personally, its just the facts

But, the tone of this post is quite obviously MEANT to be personal. If you don't want something to be taken personally, don't literally and intentionally call someone an idiot.

Also, you need to either overclock HARD or go up to FX-9000 if you plan to stay with AMD and get a significant upgrade without losing out on money. Even then, FX-9000 CPUs are expensive as all hell, require miraculous cooling, and the motherboards that take them are all extremely expensive. You'd spend much less money buying a 4770K, or, as so many people recommend, a 4670K, and get more enjoyable performance, because you need to raise the voltages REALLY high on the 9000 chips to get constant performance, even underclocked.

So, your viable choices are to overclock, or to go Intel.
Pages: 1 2