Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Are these specs good?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
KHg8m3r Wrote:Check out the Sager/Clevo laptops at Xoticpc.com.
They usually have some sort of sale going on for Sager/Clevo, and they're reasonably priced/very strong (they dont have a OS as default to keep the prices low-ish)

They're practically portable desktops given the size, weight, battery life, etc.

You might as well get a cheap desktop that will outperform it and use the laptop/tablet for other things. Unless you absolutely cannot have a desktop setup for some bizarre reason or you must be able to play it on the go.
(11-26-2013, 03:10 AM)cyrax33 Wrote: [ -> ]Super Mario Sunshine and Twilight Princess/WindWaker

You're good to go on all, however you may experience slight drops in some of the more heavier areas of TP.
And what about this, since this has a better CPU will that GPU be an issue or is nvidia specs I showed earlier better than this one? Thanks for being so patient with me guys but I'm learning =)

4th Gen Intel i7-4700MQ (2.4Ghz)
8GB DDR3
1TB
Intel HD4600
Intel HD graphics are still below the Nvidia/AMD cards
With the exception of hyrule field it should be fine for the three games that he listed as long as he keeps the IR down. Which should not be an issue since most laptops only have a screen resolution of 1366x 768 these days anyways.
Ok I went with the previous MSI setup:

Intel i5 4200M (2.5Ghz) with Turbo (3.1Ghz)
6GM Memory
750GB HDD
Nvidia GeForce GT 720M w/t dedicated 2GB

Thanks everyone for their inputs, but I would like to learn more about this CPU, the i5 4200M. Specifically how well is it performs with Dolphin (I know already Dolphin does not like the "U" which is ultra-low voltage) Is this a decent CPU able to handle most GC/Wii games (even demanding like Skyward Sword or Xenoblade) in average or low settings, can it be overclocked? And with the GPU.
The vast majority of laptop cpus cannot be overclocked. Or at least not easily. The ones that can generally cost thousands of dollars.

GPU overclocking is really not a good idea on a laptop.

If I'm not mistaken an i5 4200M should do ok with those games.
Quote:Intel HD graphics are still below the Nvidia/AMD cards
is not true . Depending on which Nvidia/AMD GPU you compare to ...
Intel HD 4600 is much faster than Nvidia GT 520M / AMD Radeon HD 7450M
Nvidia GT 720M is not much faster than Intel HD 4600M if you care to look at GPU benchmark . GT 720M is not worth the price since it comes with a slower CPU (i5) , the memory bandwidth isn't much faster either , a dedicated GPU like GT 720M has 25W power consumption -> Make your laptop run hotter and maybe end up with overheating compared to the built in Intel HD 4600 (i7 4700MQ + Intel HD 4600 = 47W , i5 4200M + GT 720M = 37 + 25 = 62W . Higher power consumption = run hotter)

If i was him , i would rather pick the i7 4700MQ and never look back . I don't want my hand to be burned by dedicated GPU (multimedia laptop only have 1 fansink which can't handle both GPU and CPU)
Really?? I was under the impression that dedicated GPUs are always better at running demanding games based on reading and researching through the forums. I had already purchased the MSI laptop at Newegg already..If I would have gone with the i7 4700MQ + Inte HD 4600 wouldn't have I gotten bottleneck with high CPU + not so high GPU? Based on researching I was avoiding bottleneck happening and I guess thats why I went with the MSI setup. I hope I made a good purchase to run most games with no slowdowns though but I'm thrown off =/
Like i said before . Not all discrete / dedicated GPU are good . If you compare a shitty / low-end discrete GPU with Intel HD 4600 , Intel HD 4600 will destroy it any seconds
Integrated GPU is no longer shit anymore . If you care about smartphone mobile GPU , the upcoming Adreno 420 can run 4k resolution video just fine . Now back to the topic
Intel HD 4600 performance should be on on par with my Nvidia GT 540M . Nvidia GT 720M ain't that much faster than mine
Perhaps , i should throw some PC game benchmarks :
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeFo...104.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Gr...106.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeFo...715.0.html
http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeFo...247.0.html

Full benchmark list :
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Grap...844.0.html

Quote:If I would have gone with the i7 4700MQ + Inte HD 4600 wouldn't have I gotten bottleneck with high CPU + not so high GPU? Based on researching I was avoiding bottleneck happening and I guess thats why I went with the MSI setup. I hope I made a good purchase to run most games with no slowdowns though but I'm thrown off =/
2 reasons you should not get that laptop :
_ Nvidia GT 720M is a low-mid range mobile GPU , not a high-end one like Nvidia GTX 580M or Nvidia GTX 765M (GTX = gamer , GT = casual gamer) . It doesn't have enough memory bandwidth to run game at high resolution such as 3xIR (1080p+) . You will have GPU bottleneck in demanding games even if you use 2xIR (720p)
_Overheating . You should read my last post again . A muilti-media laptop can't handle both CPU + discrete GPU . If you want some evidences , I can show you one of them . Overheating = both CPU and GPU will throttle (clock speed will go down)
Pages: 1 2 3 4