Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Are these specs good?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ok so the better buy would be the i700MQ + HD4600 which will not overheat and run demanding games at reasonable resolutions without throttle based on the benchmarks? Pardon my ranting just making sure since I will need to see if I can return the MSI one.
Your laptop will not overheat immediately . However , the OEM thermal paste will dry soon due to high temp . A few months later , you shall know what i mean
Here is one of those P.M i received recently . The sender is a multi-media laptop owner (Dell Vostro 3460 : i5 3210M + GT 630M ) . I pointed him at this thread and told him to replace thermal paste with an aftermarket one
The temp was dropped from 90 degree celsius (LOL) down to 75-80C ( which is high but still acceptable)
Ya I've been reading some of your posts on cooling and your youtube channel has a do-it-yourself on that, but I dont wanna do it now because Im afraid I might break something, I'll keep it in mind. But anyway if running these two components will eventually make it hot in the long run I may do it later. I will be able to play some demanding games just that it will get hot quickly as opposed to not able to play demanding with the HD4600. Based on your experience do you know how far of an IR I can go with the GT720M? And will reducing the IR decrease any throttle? Oh well I will just have to wait it out and test it when it arrives just hope it doesn't burn on me when I test out TP. Thanks for everything.
Base on the memory bandwidth , Both Intel HD 4600 (25.6GB/sec) and GT 720M (28.8GB/sec) can handle up to 2.5xIR in most games (or even 3xIR in some light-weight games ) . GPU demanding games like S Mario Galaxy , Xenoblade ... you may have to use 1x IR if your CPU is not strong enough to back GPU up
It's all about memory bandwidth . I have a 4 years old graphic card : Nvidia 9800GT . Despite its age , it has 57.6GB/sec memory bandwidth , that should be enough for 3xIR (or even 4xIR in some light-weight games)

Dolphin GPU requirement

Before i modded this laptop , there was 25 degree celsius difference between using Intel HD vs Nvidia GT 540M (60C vs 85C full load on both CPU & GPU ) . Why 2 GPUs ? Well , just google "Nvidia Optimus" or "AMD switchable graphic" . Basically , the discrete GPU is used when gaming with PC game or when you force it to . Most of the time , Intel HD GPU is used . There is no way you can enable discrete GPU all the time
Wow... you purchased the card with the laptop seperately or it came with it? An old card like that pulling out that kind of bandwidth, looks to me that your specs are as similar to mines in comparison to CPU+GPU heating issues hence why you modded your laptop with cooling compound. Is that stock speed or did you overclock that 9800GT? And is there a any kind of list here in the forums to see which games are considered light-weight and demanding. Yes, based on the guide you provided it looks like that my card can go up to 2x IR, which is 720p right? I appreciate all your help.

By the way I just recieved my MSI laptop (yesterday actually) but I won't be able to open it and test it out till Dec. 25th, my wife wants to give it to me for Christmas =)
Most mobile GPUs are soldered on the mobo except those top of the line mobile GPUs . So you can't call them "graphic card" although they're not integrated GPU
9800GT is a desktop graphic card . If i overclock it , it can pull off 72GB/sec memory bandwidth and that is another story
Pages: 1 2 3 4