Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: dolphin on ps4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
you guys are making dolphin on android and u might say no but can you make it on consoles like ps4 or xbox one. ps4 is more powerfil and cheaper so just wondering. wont hurt my feeling if u say no since i already have it on pc but just wondering.
I don´t think so. And if that were a suggestion for the devs, I´ll let you a simple question: Does the P.S. 4 has an O.S.?
(09-30-2013, 08:44 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]I don´t think so. And if that were a suggestion for the devs, I´ll let you a simple question: Does the P.S. 4 has an O.S.?
ya its orbis i think
Orbis... There´s not much info about that.

If your request would be possible, the PS4 could at least open Dolphin. I say at least because AMD CPUs usually are slower than Intel ones, and in demanding games is a miracle to hit acceptable speeds.

The max power for the AMD Jaguar is 2.0 GHz, so don´t even expect playable experience in Dolphin.

And about the GPU, it sounds just perfect.
(09-30-2013, 09:14 AM)DJBarry004 Wrote: [ -> ]Orbis... There´s not much info about that.

If your request would be possible, the PS4 could at least open Dolphin. I say at least because AMD CPUs usually are slower than Intel ones, and in demanding games is a miracle to hit acceptable speeds.

The max power for the AMD Jaguar is 2.0 GHz, so don´t even expect playable experience in Dolphin.

And about the GPU, it sounds just perfect.
actually it has 8 cores and lol dolphin only uses 2 and its cpu is over 2.75ghz and it will have turbo core.
Any XBone/PS4 jailbreaks will be short lived if there are any at all.
The PS4's OS is based off of FreeBSD, IIRC. I'm sure they might have a major and easily-patchable security flaw in there somewhere.
Can it run Dolphin in terms of Hardware? Yes, easily, it's equivalent to a medium spec PC at the moment, so it'll run most Dolphin games at max speed.

The big question, is if it'll ever get jailbroken, so it can run unsigned code, which Dolphin would be.

Step 1: PS4 is jailbroken, this may take a long time, it took several years for the PS3 to be jailbroken, and even then, Sony soon patched it and it hasn't been accomplished since.

Step 2: Someone actually has to take the time to port Dolphin over to the PS4.

Step 3: They then have to make it work well on the PS4.

Step 4: By the time this has been accomplished, a £100 PC will run all GC and Wii games at 5000 FPS at 15360x8640.

PS4 isn't even out, don't be surprised to wait until 2015 onwards to see any real homebrew on it, let alone an advanced emulator.
Xeno Aura Wrote:Yes, easily, it's equivalent to a medium spec PC at the moment, so it'll run most Dolphin games at max speed.

Very doubtful actually. Dolphin relies heavily on single-threaded performance, where AMD's current CPUs don't particularly shine. To put things into perspective, not even their latest FX CPUs can run a lot of Dolphin games fullspeed without high clock rates (e.g. 4.0 GHz and above). Even then, many of the more demanding games won't run fullspeed despite heavy overclocking. Unless AMD put some amazing "whizz bang" effort into their engineering, the Jaguar CPU inside the PS4 probably won't be ideal for Dolphin.

To put things further into perspective, there isn't a single CPU of any architecture made by any vendor clocked at 2.0 GHz that will run a majority of games on Dolphin fullspeed. Even a Haswell CPU (Haswells are currently the highest performing CPUs for Dolphin atm) at 2.0 GHz is far too low to play all but a handful of games fullspeed. CPU-wise, the PS4 is pretty comparable to a very low-spec PC for Dolphin.
It depends whether the PS4 version could be made to use more than 2 cores. Seeing as the PS4 has 8 cores running potentially up to 2.75GHz. (I know this isn't easy, there's a reason Dolphin doesn't use 4 cores yet I guess.)

Also the PS4 and XBO CPU's are custom-built, they're not your average Jaguar CPU. For a start, Jaguar CPU's only support 4 cores, whereas the PS4 has 8 cores.

Either way, anyone who can afford a PS4, will be able to afford a PC that can run Dolphin. I would just say get a PC, you need one nowadays anyway. Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10