Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Games underperforming, unable to figure out why.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Running a laptop specs:
*wins7 x64/ intelcore i5 M480 @2.67
4.0GBram DDR3 / Nvidia 1025MB dedicated VRAM
Nvidia Geforce 610M

Versions of dolphin used 3.5-2429/3.5-367/3.0
All games are running relatively slow

XGRA 45-51fps/40-75% emu speed(3.5-2429)
46-59fps/79(random hiccups to 40~%)-98% emu speed(3.0)

XG3 31fps/ 51% emu speed(both versions, 3.0 hangs for about a minute in a little after bootup)

hunter the reckoning 15Fps/ 20-30% emu speed once ingame, oddly enough ran slightly better when i disabled dual core option in emu up to 21fps unplayable running the way it did.

Phantasy star online ep1&2 25-29fps/ 90-100% emu speed* randomly hiccups and drops to 75% emu speed even when not in combat(3.5-2429) emu seems to cap fps to 30 without the actual game slowing down no other game did that so far.
28-30fps and 98%-100% emu speed(3.0) doesnt randomly studder like newer version but does drop down to 19% emu speed when enemies cluttered the screen but caught back up.

Four swords adventure 30-40fps and about 80~% emu speed even during the scrolling text during the begining, but oddly enough when i turn off the framelimiter with this game its around 190%+ emu speed during the beginning parts where it usually slows down actual gameplay is random with about 30fps and emu speed is sporadic with that option off.

taskmanager wise the emu is using about 50% cpu on it own and about 10-15% physical memory, my fans arent going super crazy either. Ive seen old videos on youtube dating back to 2009 with people with older versions of the emu and seemingly older hardware run some of these games smooth with extra settings on which is mindbaffling to me.

so if anyone can enlighten me on whats going on here, i would be happy. i gotten this laptop almost 2 years ago for about 600 on sale(was almost 800 reg) i figure it would run the same games just as well as people with older emus and hardware.

also downloaded cpu-Z although i dont know what im looking at or for really
Your speed seems normal given your hardware. Older does not always mean slower. A high end desktop from 2009 is much faster than a midrange/low end laptop from 2011.

Also older builds are faster not slower.

Powderedtoastman Wrote:taskmanager wise the emu is using about 50% cpu on it own and about 10-15% physical memory, my fans arent going super crazy either.

All of this is irrelevant.
(09-19-2013, 09:08 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Your speed seems normal given your hardware. Older does not always mean slower. A high end desktop from 2009 is much faster than a midrange/low end laptop from 2011.

Also older builds are faster not slower.

Powderedtoastman Wrote:taskmanager wise the emu is using about 50% cpu on it own and about 10-15% physical memory, my fans arent going super crazy either.

All of this is irrelevant.
Yeah i wasnt sure what info would be relevant or not, just how much older build should i be trying out then? And my laptop is on the lower end? sigh figure it was decent enough, its able to run normal pc games well enough(D3, masseffect3, deadspace3,GW2)

I just tried out "the last story" for the wii side and it was running at about 20-25fps and about 60-90% emu speed(3.0)and no sound hiccups during the slow downs. Odd that i was able to tag on the anisoptropic filtering and anti-aliasing on and the performance was just about the same results with it on or off. could there be a setting somewhere that im overlooking. I dunno anything about looking for bottlenecks or overclocking or if it will help or not.

Also in reference to the youtube videos werent high end from what they said. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bChW4YPr4Sc the specs he listed doesnt seem to outclass mine and running it great
PC games behave differently. PC games are expressly designed to run on PC hardware. These games were designed to run on non Intel compatible hardware, and so the program emulates the behavior of the Broadway chip in the Wii and other hardware components. That means translating lots of non-native instructions into x86 CPU instructions, and it is slower than a PC game.

To compare, your CPU trumps that one at single threaded work. However, that system in the video is running a much older version of the emulator that was faster. Additionally, the GTS 250, despite being a much older and "lower" series card, has 70.4 GB/s memory bandwidth. Yours has 14.4 GB/s.

Make sure that you're plugged in to AC power and run CPU-Z to make sure you're utilizing your full capacity. Check your GPU clock to make sure it isn't running slower than it should. Assuming those things are true, you can adjust settings (reduce IR) or go to an older version assuming that it runs bug-free.
(09-19-2013, 10:56 AM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]PC games behave differently. PC games are expressly designed to run on PC hardware. These games were designed to run on non Intel compatible hardware, and so the program emulates the behavior of the Broadway chip in the Wii and other hardware components. That means translating lots of non-native instructions into x86 CPU instructions, and it is slower than a PC game.

To compare, your CPU trumps that one at single threaded work. However, that system in the video is running a much older version of the emulator that was faster. Additionally, the GTS 250, despite being a much older and "lower" series card, has 70.4 GB/s memory bandwidth. Yours has 14.4 GB/s.

Make sure that you're plugged in to AC power and run CPU-Z to make sure you're utilizing your full capacity. Check your GPU clock to make sure it isn't running slower than it should. Assuming those things are true, you can adjust settings (reduce IR) or go to an older version assuming that it runs bug-free.
yeah i understand the differences between the emus and actual pc games. I have no idea about the memory bandwidth or where you go to even check it out.

i do have cpu-Z, i have loaded it up afew times. but is it supposed to do something outside monitoring things? and how would i know if its going full capacity? I looked at the graphics tab on cpu-z but most of the things are grayed out just only show the revision under gpu and the size under memory.

and yeah as i saying in my original post about using different versions of the emu and getting relatively better result with 3.0 than the latest. I couldnt find his version to dl anywhere to even compare results, just a bunch of old links more than 3 years old that were invalid.

Also the setting on the emu i have it on the lowest possible settings available, and tried tinkering with all the settings and plugins.

the main questions i have is how exactly do i utilize cpu-z, and what version of emu should i run to get that boost just to even it out. And about the memory bandwidth where you find out about that and does it really that much of a difference of making that old hardware run THAT much better than mines, so i can know what to look for when im going for new hardware in the future.
Can you post some screenshots of your CPU-Z tabs? I typically use CoreTemp for this http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ but maybe CPU-Z has added functionality beyond just identifying your CPU info?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ will provide info on your GPU clock. Laptops are known to throttle these even when the emulator is running. Post that up too please.

Memory bandwidth of a card makes a lot of difference in Dolphin when you're using IR settings. You're still at the lowest setting, so I suspect you're hitting a CPU limit rather than GPU. But the difference between your card and that GTS 250 is significant at high resolutions in Dolphin.
(09-19-2013, 12:58 PM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]Can you post some screenshots of your CPU-Z tabs? I typically use CoreTemp for this http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/ but maybe CPU-Z has added functionality beyond just identifying your CPU info?

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/ will provide info on your GPU clock. Laptops are known to throttle these even when the emulator is running. Post that up too please.

Memory bandwidth of a card makes a lot of difference in Dolphin when you're using IR settings. You're still at the lowest setting, so I suspect you're hitting a CPU limit rather than GPU. But the difference between your card and that GTS 250 is significant at high resolutions in Dolphin.
yeah im using default res for the tests 640x480 and on the older emus no IR setting to mess with. and the ones that did have i left it on native x1. i really hope its my laptop being lazy somewhere so i can run these suckers at atleast 100% emu speed ill take the frame rate lost if it still actually moves in realtime[attachment=9746][attachment=9745]
Is this during game execution? Your GPU is set to the base clock speed. It should be running at about 900 MHz. Either the game wasn't running, or your Nvidia control panel needs to be adjusted to run this game at full clock. You may also be able to manually adjust the clock on your GPU to max all the time.

Your CPU is clocked @ 2.9 in the screenshot, so it looks like it is hitting TurboBoost and that indicates that the game is probably running. If that's the case, your GPU is the constraint.
(09-20-2013, 03:12 AM)rokclimb15 Wrote: [ -> ]Is this during game execution? Your GPU is set to the base clock speed. It should be running at about 900 MHz. Either the game wasn't running, or your Nvidia control panel needs to be adjusted to run this game at full clock. You may also be able to manually adjust the clock on your GPU to max all the time.

Your CPU is clocked @ 2.9 in the screenshot, so it looks like it is hitting TurboBoost and that indicates that the game is probably running. If that's the case, your GPU is the constraint.
sorry for late reply just got off work, hmm the gpu is being lazy? in the nvidia control panel i set it to do highest performance on the settings that was available. i notice sometimes when booting up programs that gives me the option to choose whether i wanna use the intel HD or nvidia one... the nvidia option seems to be missing some of the times until i reboot whatever program a few times

[attachment=9747]

as you can see in the attachment, wonder if the programs i have are getting jacked up because of it, cause it does the same in the emus and pc games at times too. wonder if its just faulty and i been ripped off and didnt know it
I wouldn't read too much into CPU-Z's display of your graphics adapter. It is probably choosing a default setting. Are your NVIDIA drivers up to date? Can you post a screenshot of your GPU control panel settings?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6