Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Audio issues on good spec machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi folks,

New to Dolphin, but having real probs setting it up!

My system specs:
Intel Core i7 920 - 4GHz (OC'd) (Turbo off in BIOS)
Gigabyte EX58-DS4
Corsair 1333 DDR3 - 6GB (@570MHz - 6 Multiplier)
KFA Nvidia GTX-660 EX OC 2G DDR5
Corsair 500W PSU

I'm testing setup on a couple of games: F-Zero and Starfox.

I'm getting issues with skipping audio. Lots on Starfox and brief, millisecond blips during races on former.

Have tried running at 1x native - makes no difference. Have tried playing around with the different audio and graphics settings - no diff.

Have monitored CPU and GPU - not maxing out.

Any suggestions? Ironically, Wii games seem to play seamlessly.

Dolphin vertion 3.5 - 367
Which starfox?

Also try latest:

https://dolphin-emu.org/download/
Thanks for the reply, Dude. It's Starfox:Assault.

Tried the Dolphin 3.5-420 [Zelda-SS-Fix] x64 MSVC Intel+AMD build before - but tried again. Probably my settings - but runs with same issues at best, or slightly worse performance (although might be slightly different settings - there's that many permutations)

I can't help but feel it's either:

- CPU and/or GPU are too low performance
- Something in the communication between Dolphin and my hardware is causing bottlenecks
- Maybe some kinda bios settings or mobo setup that's causing this

Have tried fiddling around with properties via right clicking game - still no joy Sad

Shame, because looking like a monster emulator!
The CPU's bottlenecking you here. An i5-4670K at stock speeds (or with a light overclock) will be perfect if you're willing to upgrade.
Quote:It's Starfox Assault.
Wait ! Isn't it an extremely light-weight game ?
Even a Core 2 duo @ 2.5GHz could run that game full speed without a hic cup
On the other hand , Starfox Adventure is a demanding game
Hmmmm. Thanks folks. It appears as though difference of opinion! I thought I'd read somewhere that i7s would lead to games running well.

Trodden this path before in upgrading CPU/mobo/GPU in order to run PCSX2 well. One person advised one CPU, went and bought it + it wasn't powerful enough! Then had to upgrade GPU etc etc...

I wonder how I'm gonna find out whether my system is powerful enough to run most games?

Cheers

Steve
That i7 920 has aged very bad (for dolphin at least). If you have the money, get a i5 4670k + Asus Z87 Pro

If not, use a newer version. There's been some optimization fixes lately.
Thanks Anti- I did try a newer version, but as aforementioned - no improvements if not stickier!

Have solved some of the probs by fps limiting to 60. However, the audio stutters remain.

Can't afford a new CPU sadly!

I have made a vid with GPU and CPU monitoring on it - whilst some values are running hi, no max-outs. Also, changed nvidia settings to "high performance" - still the bad audio.

I have a soundbalster pci installed - but tried on both this and realtek onboard audio. Still bad sound Sad

One thing that did occur to me - using an old HD with IDE connection. Would this make any difference - is there any 'on-the-fly' realtime streaming of data? Have another HDD in the system with SATA 2.

Am I allowed to post the video here? Really want to get this emu working.

thanks for all suggestions so far.
Are you using HLE or LLE for audio?

stigzler Wrote:One thing that did occur to me - using an old HD with IDE connection. Would this make any difference

No.
Skipping audio is normal using LLE, the i7 920 can't really maintain a stable framerate in the new dolphin versions. Most other games should run fine using HLE though (even Mario Galaxy).

If you want to use LLE, you need a better processor. Maybe in a few years the i5 4670k will be to slow for dolphin too.
Pages: 1 2 3