Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [UNOFFICIAL] Laptop Performance Guide
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Edit (01/2017) : I made an update video here , please take a look

For all i5/i7 CPU with Turbo Boost technology (i3 doesn't have turbo boost)
Keep in mind that turbo boost has nothing to do with overclocking . Turbo Boost is 100% safe by Intel
If you have slow internet connection , the images will take a while to load properly

First :
Make sure Power Plan = High Performance
[Image: r700oruc738f2fm6g.jpg]
[Image: 3fb4xe2231y01m36g.jpg]

Part 1 :
CPU Performance:
Part 2 :
GPU Performance:
Tips for PC gamer : when playing PC games , you should underclock CPU to reduce the heat ( You shouldn't do this if you're using emulator , video encoding or equivalent CPU intensive application)
Finally! Nice guide Smile
What about people who need both CPU and GPU at max? what can they do if their system overheats? If you can add a little section about cooling, it'd help a lot.
Bathe it in oil ? (Oil Cooling)
[Image: mineral-oil-computer-submerged017.jpg]
Or disassembly your laptop , remove the poor OEM thermal compound and replace it with aftermarket one such as Arctic MX-4
Oh god, I'm having overheat issues since I bought my laptop! When playing Dolphin, the temps keep going up from 50 °C until it stabilize at 105 °C, but my CPU still runs at 3.2GHz... Changing thermal compound may help? Also, according to Intel ARK, 105°C is the maximum temperature for this CPU... If I keep the 105°C temperature for prolonged times, will this reduce the lifespan of the CPU?

Furthermore, nice topic!
Jhonn: Yes, don't let your CPU get that hot. Stop running games until you solve your heat issues.
Quote:Changing thermal compound may help?
Yes , most laptop manufacturers (include apple) use cheap thermal compound which is really suck
My laptop is a multi-media laptop just like yours but thanks to Arctic MX-4 (changed to Shin-Etsu X23-7783 atm), it doesn't overheat
Jhonn is from Brazil, so he'll naturally have higher temps than us. Just a thing to keep in consideration.
Well, at least for now, I'll force the CPU to run at 2.7GHz, it's a little slower in Dolphin but at least the temperature got around 80-90°C... I can survive this slowdown until I order some thermal compound...

@Off-topic: right now, I have to decide between Arctic Silver 5 and Arctic MX-4... For you guys, what would you get? I read in some places people saying that the Silver 5 is better than the MX-4, and in other sites people saying that MX-4 is better than Silver 5, what do you think? Is there something better than these two? (PS: already saw the CoolLaboratory Liquid Ultra, but the whole "liquid metal" thing and the possibility of corroding some surfaces freaks me out)
It really doesn't matter, either of those thermal compounds are fine. The kinds of people who like to debate about extremely small differences in thermal compound probably need to go outside for a while. Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7