Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Choppy fps one game, fluid 60 fps the other
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi!

I was wondering whether it's because of my emu settings or my HW specs, that some games run steady 60fps with no sound problems, while others have choppy gameplay or even crash.

PC SPECS:
Intel i5 3570k CPU (stock 3,4ghz)
AMD HD 7850 GPU (1100 core /1350 mem)
windows 7 x64
Stable system, really happy with it.

DOLPHIN VERSION: I use 3.5-1597. I've also tried the latest master-beta 3.5 1685, but has the exact same issues.

DOLPHIN CONFIG:

-general: enable dual-core, enable idle skipping, framelimit auto, JIT recompiler
-audio: DSP LLE, Xaudio2
-GFX: directx 9, vsync on, aspect ratio auto
-GFX enhancements: auto (multiple) resolution, 4xSSAA, 4x AA, scaled EFB copy, force texture filtering, per pixel lighting, disable fog
-GFX hacks: skip EFB access,ignore format changes, EFB copies: texture, external framebuffer disable, fast depth calculation

GAMES THAT WORK LIKE A CHARM (steady 60fps, great sound):
- Donkey Kong Returns (checked Vbeam speed hack)
- New Super Mario Bros (checked DSP HLE)
- Kirby Epic Yarn (checked DSP HLE)
- Soul Calibur 2 (checked DSP HLE)
- Excitebots

GAMES WHICH CRASH / HAVE CHOPPY GAMEPLAY:
- Mario Kart Wii (hangs when race begins, or stutters heavily during race)
- Sonic Colors (choppy gameplay & sound, with and without DSP HLE)
- Mario Kart Double Dash (hickups)
- Mortal Kombat deception (hickups)
- Eternal Darkness (black screen, hangs/crashes)

I've tried lowering settings like resolution, SSAA and tried some settings in the individual configs - but didn't help.

I would really appreciate the help, thanks!

ps. awesome emulator, I'm really grateful for it Smile
Mario Kart Wii can use HLE in the latest so that will def get rid of some of the choppy. Get rid of the MSAA and vsynch to see if that helps as well.
(07-31-2013, 03:53 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]Mario Kart Wii can use HLE in the latest so that will def get rid of some of the choppy. Get rid of the MSAA and vsynch to see if that helps as well.
I've tried your settings with the 2 versions of Dolphin I've mentioned: no improvement. When the race starts it seems very nice; but the game crashes after a couple of seconds in the race.

Checked DSP HLE as well, but didn't matter.
Firstly, try the latest build. Secondly, try and use OpenGL. However, I'm not sure exactly why some of those games on your hardware are failing so badly.
I KNOW 3.5 with HLE works just fine for Mario Kart Wii. If you get a crash, ti is system related. Can you give more details on what you mean by "crash"
(07-31-2013, 04:51 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]I KNOW 3.5 with HLE works just fine for Mario Kart Wii. If you get a crash, ti is system related. Can you give more details on what you mean by "crash"
After a few seconds in the race the game freezes and the music stops. When I ctrl-alt-delete, the music continues on the background, but the image is still frozen & I have to forcefully terminate the emu.

OpenGL doesn't seem to have the problem in Mario Kart Wii! hmm.. so it might be a driver issue? I'm on the latest beta drivers. Don't have any other problems with other emulators or PC games. Seems a really stable driver.
Perhaps the beta drivers are causing the issue. Can you go back to standard (non-beta) drivers to see if that helps? I play MK Wii with DX (unsure if it is 9 or 11) quite frequently with no issues. I have a 6970 and am using standard drivers from about 6 months ago (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)
(07-31-2013, 06:39 AM)haddockd Wrote: [ -> ]Perhaps the beta drivers are causing the issue. Can you go back to standard (non-beta) drivers to see if that helps? I play MK Wii with DX (unsure if it is 9 or 11) quite frequently with no issues. I have a 6970 and am using standard drivers from about 6 months ago (if it ain't broke, don't fix it)
New AMD drivers are about to be released beginning next month. I'll wait for them (bound to be WHQL) and check it out. I play lots of PC games to & the beta drivers did help with frametimes (for example in Skyrim). Haven't had any problems with other software/games till now.

OpenGL is slow in games that were fine in DX9, like Donkey Kong Returns.. And since I launch games from an emulator front-end (Maximus Arcade), I don't want to have to change the config of the emu before playing.

I'll get back to y'all. Thanks for the help thus far.

Qaazavaca Qaanic

If using Direct3D11, try setting EFB Copies (Hacks tab) to Texture. I got (nvidia) crashes with RAM.
I've tried the AMD WHQL 13.4 drivers but Mario kart Wii still crashes when starting a race. I also tried a PAL version of the game instead of NTSC - didnt make a difference.

I did change framelimit to audio instead of auto & disabled AA, which helped Mario Kart double Dash and Sonic Colors. They are fine now! (although Sonic seems capped at 30fps..?)
Mario kart Wii keeps crashing though..
Pages: 1 2