Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is there a way to remove the steam in Wind Waker?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Hi,

In Wind Waker some areas have some sort of a steam-effect, which is very hard for GPUs to render if Antialiasing is enabled ..

I have the Nvidia GTX 580, which is a pretty good graphic card and even this one can only handle these steaming areas with 25-27fps (4xSSAA) and 13-15fps (9xSSAA)

If you don't know what I mean, watch some videos on Youtube of areas like the Forsaken Fortress, Dragon Roost Island or the final battle with Gannondorf ..

I was just thinking about this because there is also an action replay code to remove the heat effect, so could this work with steam as well?
I do not know that this will work, but have you tried the "Disable Fog" option? It only takes a second to test.
Turn off SSAA? That would fix it up quite nicely.
@haddockd:

I don't mean fog, I mean steam ..

@Major:

The only reason people are using Dolphin would be the graphical aspect ..
slax65 Wrote:I don't mean fog, I mean steam ..

We know. But the steam might be rendered as a fog effect (unlikely), so try it.

slax65 Wrote:The only reason people are using Dolphin would be the graphical aspect

You can't be serious.
(03-28-2013, 09:58 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
slax65 Wrote:I don't mean fog, I mean steam ..

We know. But the steam might be rendered as a fog effect (unlikely), so try it.

slax65 Wrote:The only reason people are using Dolphin would be the graphical aspect

You can't be serious.
Tried it out .. It's not gone if fog is disabled ..
And I am serious .. I mean, I'm wondering why someone recommends me to disable antialiasing/ while I have a good graphic card .. It's the best feature of Dolphin (I think) ..
Rather than using AA, have you tried simply increasing the IR? Last time I heard about it, Dolphin should have support for arbitrary IR, though I don't think it's configurable from the GUI (you'll have edit some config files). You can even try the unofficial 5x IR build Starscream offered in Development discussion.

Also, graphical enhancements are why some of us use Dolphin, not everyone though. Believe it or not, there are quite a few purists in any emulation community who strive to get an experience as close to what a real console looks like on a TV as possible.
Quote:Dolphin should have support for arbitrary IR, though I don't think it's configurable from the GUI (you'll have edit some config files).
It's not available via .ini either in master.
(03-28-2013, 02:12 PM)RachelB Wrote: [ -> ]It's not available via .ini either in master.

What? Still not yet? Come on guys, get it together now :p
(03-28-2013, 05:28 PM)Shonumi Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-28-2013, 02:12 PM)RachelB Wrote: [ -> ]It's not available via .ini either in master.

What? Still not yet? Come on guys, get it together now :p
It's trivial to at least expose the thing via config, it's just that everyone is too lazy to do it. There's a half-baked attempt at creating a new GUI around it, but it's too confusing to be merged.
Pages: 1 2 3 4