Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Performance problems. Is my laptop good enough?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Linkent5

Hi everyone,

I have recently started using Dolphin and I've been having performance problems (speed and FPS constant slow donws). As far as I've seen in other forum threads my laptop settings are good enough to play fluently, but I'm not a hardware expert so I may have looked it wrongly.

I have been using Super Mario Sunshine and Zelda Wind Waker, and for the moment it'd be enough for me to be able to play GC games fluently.

Here are my laptop settings:
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
- Intel Core i5 2410M @ 2.30GHz
- Radeon HD 6470M
- RAM: 4,00 GB, DDR3 @ 665MHz

Is it good enough? Any recommendation for performance improvement?

Thanks in advance.
(02-23-2013, 10:11 PM)Linkent5 Wrote: [ -> ]my laptop settings are good enough to play decently

I rectified that for you (I got the same processor on one of my laptops).

First thing to do: check your temperature. Sudden speed drops and slowdowns usually mean you're overheating
Quote:Radeon HD 6470M
is a low-end GPU . You should use minimum settings
Quote:Intel Core i5 2410M @ 2.30GHz
Most games require Ivy Bridge CPU @ 2.9GHz or higher (for latest Dolphin version)
Demanding games require Ivy Bridge CPU @ 3.3 -> 4.4GHz or even higher

Your CPU has turbo boost function which auto boost your CPU base clock from 2.3 to 2.6GHz (2 cores active).Turbo Boost will work if your CPU not overheat (You should check CPU temp and CPU clock speed with Realtemp while Dolphin is running) .

Linkent5

As you said I've got temperature problems. The CPU is around 65ºC (149ºF) with an average use of the laptop, and rises up to 76ºC (169ºC) when runing Dolphin; the fan gets really noisy.

The thing is I don't know what to do to avoid overheating.
Actually, 76° C is not overheating, this temperature is okay. I cannot imagine, that a CPU throttle itself at this temperature.
(02-24-2013, 02:53 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, 76° C is not overheating, this temperature is okay. I cannot imagine, that a CPU throttle itself at this temperature.

1- It's a bit hot for a laptop though Tongue .
2- Games he's been playing are not very demanding
76°C is hot for a desktop, but not for a laptop Tongue My old laptops temperature was much more higher (over 90-95°C)... well, but no throttling though.
Yep, my laptop remains stable @ 85-90c
Maybe an issue with Turbo Boost.
Or "constant slowdowns" he's getting are the performance he could expect and not slowdowns due to overheating.

@Linkent5: What speed do you get with Zelda WW and Super Mario Sunshine?

Linkent5

(02-24-2013, 03:18 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Maybe an issue with Turbo Boost.
Or "constant slowdowns" he's getting are the performance he could expect and not slowdowns due to overheating.

@Linkent5: What speed do you get with Zelda WW and Super Mario Sunshine?
Ok.

I've run Zelda WW for a while. The CPU clock speed is 2694 Mhz, so the turbo is working, and the temperature goes up to 86ºC. The emulation runs 85%-70% speed and eventually falls to around 50% for a couple of seconds. I've also eventually suffered an error ("fatal graphic error" into a blue screen, the laptop restarts afterwards).
Pages: 1 2