Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Please bring back "Disable Lightning" option
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
The last few builds does not have "Disable Lightning" option anymore.
I know that in most cases this option is not anything you would use, as it removes most shadows.
However on Mac OSX this is the was to fix the totally broken shadows in many games.

As it stands for now, many games that was actually ok to play before this option was removed is now, well, very much less fun to play.

Here is a pic from Monster Hunter Tri with and without "lightning disabled"
[Image: monsterhuntertri.jpg]

Please bring this option back again
There's no one stopping you from locally reverting the commit that removed the option.
(12-18-2012, 07:08 AM)neobrain Wrote: [ -> ]There's no one stopping you from locally reverting the commit that removed the option.
I do understand that, and I could build it myself. However this is a huge issue for any mac user (at least with NVIDIA graphics), and not just me.
So unless it's problematic to keep it in I guess that both me and many others would like to have this option.

If it's problematic to keep it, i do understand, but if it was just removed because devs thought it was not used, then I would like to have it put back again Smile
As much as I like the idea of bringing Disable Lighting/Textures back and putting them both in the Advanced panel...

...how 'bout we just fix the fucking Nvidia bug?
... which is not even an nvidia bug but a Dolphin one
might not even be*

The compiled ARB shader does not look like it has any undefined behavior, but it works on Linux and fails on OSX (tried playing the same trace from apitrace on both).
Fixing the bug would be awesome, and I think people have asked about this since forever.
However, it's still there, and the disable lightning is somewhat a "fix".

On a side note, I'm pretty inexperienced with git, how to just revert one single commit?
Also any quick way to find you which revision that corresponds to which commit?

Btw this is the commit i guess:
http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/sou...d75596d1c8
Lightning is produced by the buildup of electric charge in the atmosphere. Unfortunately the dolphin devs have no control over the atmosphere and if they did neobrain would probably remove clouds entirely instead of fixing the charge buildup.

I find it odd that all 4 times you tried to spell lighting it was spelled as lightning.

On a more serious note when was disable lighting removed? I mean the exact revision.
The option served absolutely no purpose (sorry, working around the osx lighting issue doesn't count). However, lots of noobs where coming to our forums complaining about issues with lighting when "Disable lighting" was used (ofc they didn't notice they enabled that option because they just blindly took over the settings from mamario's idiotic performance guide).

So it's basically no advantages vs that pretty annoying "disadvantage" (if you can call it like that).

EDIT: Meh, misread your question. Learn how to read please, your question has already been answered Tongue

TheCow

Quote: Lightning is produced by the buildup of electric charge in the atmosphere.
Damn, beat me to it!

Quote: On a more serious note when was disable lighting removed? I mean the exact revision.
The one linked in post #7 seems like a good candidate:
Code:
Log message
Remove "Disable Lighting".

I reverted that revision and enabled the option, and it seemed to "work".
Pages: 1 2 3