Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Will this laptop be able to run anything?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Raikyure

I'm getting this laptop for free next month and I know it's not really for gaming but it's free...
I wonder if it will be able to run SSBB at some playable FPS:

Intel Core i5 3317U 1.7 GHz Processor
4 GB DDR3
128 GB Solid-State Drive
Intel HD 4000 Graphics
If you keep it at 1x IR, possibly.
Well, ULV CPUs are not really the best choice for Dolphin, they don't have enough power for Wii/GC emulation. Besides, your Ultrabook will overheat if the cooling system is bad.
It still reaches decent clock rates with turbo boost and is probably enough for SSBB. Also cooling is usually less of an issue on ultrabooks than regular laptops.
I'm still sceptical.

@OP: If you have the Ultrabook, can you post some benchmarks and a experience report? (temps, etc.)
Quote:I'm still sceptical.

-17watt TDP cpu (low enough to be easily passively cooled)
-even lower chipset power consumption
-no dedicated gpu
-aluminum chassis

What's to be skeptical about?
(10-18-2012, 04:52 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]-17watt TDP cpu (low enough to be easily passively cooled)
-even lower chipset power consumption
-no dedicated gpu
-aluminum chassis
What's to be skeptical about?

Maybe some manufacturers save money on the wrong place (cooling system).? I read some reports about overheating ultrabooks. The premium and expensive Ultrabooks (like Asus Zenbook Prime) don't have this problem, yeah, but there are cheap Ultrabooks too.

Passive cooling is no problem with 17W TDP, you're right. But we all know, that Dolphin is really a demanding application which produces a lot of heat.

i doubt you'd get decent 720p on pj64. my p4 at 3 is better than my core 2 at 2.4 at emulation. clock speeds are very important in emulation if you buy that, don't expect to be able to move mountains. Smile
No, microarchitecture and ISA is more important than clock speeds, a bulldozer cant beat an ivy
there are other things to consider but if you have a quick look at clocks, that's gonna give you a good idea of what to expect.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5