Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Is my CPU good enough without overclocking?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hi, it's been a while since I last tried Dolphin and I've been thinking about trying to get it working again. Last time I tried playing Skyward Sword but I couldn't quite get a smooth 30FPS at 1080p. Is my CPU good enough without overclocking it? The cooler I have was picked to be quiet (Corsair H50) rather than efficient so my overclocking options are limited. My specs are below:
i7 860 2.8GHz
12GB RAM
GeForce GTX 570

Since the last time I tried playing around I've upped my RAM from 4GB to 12GB and changed my Radeon 4890 out for the GTX 570. But I've still got the same i7 860. I also realise there's been a good number of updates to Dolphin since my last attempt.

Should I be able to run most games decently at 1080p with this rig? Or is my CPU holding me back?
Your CPU is still holding you back from full speed. Over clocking will help, but unless the multiplier is unlocked or you have an ASRock mobo the BCLK is your only option.
You're probably going to need a modest OC to get skyward sword running at fullspeed.

Quote:Your CPU is still holding you back from full speed. Over clocking will help, but unless the multiplier is unlocked or you have an ASRock mobo the BCLK is your only option.

His cpu isn't a sandy bridge cpu.
(10-08-2012, 07:02 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]You're probably going to need a modest OC to get skyward sword running at fullspeed.

Quote:Your CPU is still holding you back from full speed. Over clocking will help, but unless the multiplier is unlocked or you have an ASRock mobo the BCLK is your only option.

Yeah, but I thought the ASRock non-k OC worked with all i3/i5/i7.
It may do in an ideal world, but for the major limitation that a different socket is used, so the CPU wouldn't fit (that's what she said).

Multiplier and FSB overclocking should both be available on that CPU.
(10-08-2012, 07:02 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]You're probably going to need a modest OC to get skyward sword running at fullspeed.

How modest are we talking here? And if I can get Skyward Sword running smooth should I be able to do the same for Xenoblade and Last Story?
3.6GHz is probably enough. And you should be able to get there on stock voltage.
(10-08-2012, 08:03 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]3.6GHz is probably enough. And you should be able to get there on stock voltage.

It's enough for Zelda SS. But Xenoblade requires 3.8-4.0GHz. And The Last Story more than 4.0GHz
Quote:But Xenoblade requires 3.8-4.0GHz.

I doubt it.
(10-08-2012, 10:06 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:But Xenoblade requires 3.8-4.0GHz.

I doubt it.

I think LordVador was specifically talking about using LLE audio at those clocks for Xenoblade Chronicles. Using HLE audio brings down that number quite a bit.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5