Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Help me with choosing a laptop
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hello, I am planning on getting a laptop.

I want to be able to play Dolphin games (Xenoblade, No More Heroes, Muramasa, Last Story, Mario Rpg) but also have the ability to play pc centric games like Borderlands, Starcraft 2, League of Legends, Civilization V, Warhammer, etc.

I understand that the Intel route is the best because emulation is CPU dependent. BUT, I want to be able to play PC centric games at least on high medium - high details. However my budget is ~$600.

My current laptop choices are down to an AMD A8-4500m or an Intel Core i5 4000hd series (if I can get that price point).

So which laptop type is better suited for me?
I don't think $600 is good enough for the performance you seem to want...

The AMD A8 won't do the greatest in Dolphin, while the HD 4000 graphics in the other laptop won't do very well in PC games or Dolphin. So I guess if you really have to choose between these two the A8 is better but you won't be getting a good experience either way.
Better get a desktop with Core i5-3570k and Z77 moBo, if you want the ultimate Dolphin experience Wink

If you still want a laptop, yeah, buy a gaming notebook. but they're very expensive.
(09-30-2012, 04:45 AM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]Better get a desktop with Core i5-3570k and Z77 moBo, if you want the ultimate Dolphin experience Wink

If you still want a laptop, yeah, buy a gaming notebook. but they're very expensive.

I would get a desktop, but I won't be home much so it would have to be a laptop.

It looks like that neither are a good choice but if I wanted to game in general, (minus the dolphin) would the AMD be a much better choice allowing me to play pc games on at least medium settings at 1366x768?
You're going to need a dedicated GPU to be able to do anything with it. You didn't mention what the A8 has.
Quote:It looks like that neither are a good choice but if I wanted to game in general, (minus the dolphin) would the AMD be a much better choice allowing me to play pc games on at least medium settings at 1366x768?

Yes.

Quote:You're going to need a dedicated GPU to be able to do anything with it. You didn't mention what the A8 has.

Likely just the IGP.
(09-30-2012, 07:59 AM)Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]You're going to need a dedicated GPU to be able to do anything with it. You didn't mention what the A8 has.

The laptop is an AMD A8-4500m. For example I am looking at this laptop:

AMD Quad Core A8-4500M Processor 1.9 GHz (4MB Cache)
Graphics card ram size 3060mb
6 GB SDRAM RAM
750GB 5400rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen, AMD Radeon HD 7640
I'd th AMD just ha the igp, then neither of these is going to be good for you.

EDIT: that is a goo GPU for gaming. I think that PC games should be okay on it.
(09-30-2012, 08:19 AM)Axxer Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: that is a goo GPU for gaming. I think that PC games should be okay on it.

The HD7640G is not a discrete GPU and is not very good, he won't be able to do much with that. Be careful what you recommend when you're not sure.
I could have sworn it said 7940... My eyes have deceived me.

I'll look at the link next time.

EDIT: nvm, that specific model doesn't exist...
Pages: 1 2 3