Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: "Goggle-Like" effects in Dolphin
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

RedDaemonfox

System Specs:
MacBook Pro Retina
2.3Ghz i7
16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
256GB SSD

Running Dolphin 3.0-766

Games: SSBM and SSBB

The issue is when I play these, the in game 3D models have a google shaped section of their face which is normal as compared to the GC or Wii. The rest of the model is dark and the textures are dull. I've been playing around with settings, but I'm not getting anywhere. Can anybody suggest something? I may change to a more stable build of Dolphin, if recommended. I'm not very familiar with Dolphin as it is the first time I've used it since it began years previous.
Google is not a shape.

The issue that you're trying to describe is causing by nvidias/apples crappy macosx drivers. Run dolphin under windows in bootcamp.

RedDaemonfox

(09-19-2012, 08:02 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Google is not a shape.
Yes I see my common mistake. My apologies. I'll use it in windows until I find a suitable workaround.

Quote:I'll use it in windows until I find a suitable workaround.

Unless you plan on being the first person to write 3rd party drivers for nvidia GPUs on MACOSX I wouldn't hold your breath.
I think neobrain or delroth mentioned that there's probably something Dolphin can do on it's end to resolve the issue. It's probably along the lines of figuring out why OS X drivers are giving quirky results with the OpenGL code, and finding out another way to produce the correct (or correct-enough) result with different OpenGL code. To do that though, one of the developers need a Mac (or Hackintosh). Currently few do, so you'll have to wait anyway.
I have a Mac but I'm not a Dev Tongue

Anyway, imo, OS X isn't made for Gaming. Windows is much more better concerning Gaming (DirectX ^^). Each OS has it's own good and bad things.

In one sense that's true; OS X is a general computing OS, just like Windows, Linux, BSD, etc. It isn't "made" for gaming; its meant to do just about anything. However, there's nothing inherent about OS X that prevents it from being good for games, to my knowledge. Fwiw, OGL and Direct3D are considered to be pretty close in feature parity among game devs. Granted the OS X OGL drivers have always been a hassle (recent drivers specifically give Dolphin issues, but other projects had similar problems with older ones) most issues apparently had workarounds or "good-enough" solutions.

Developer interest is the only thing really hampering OS X from having more games. It's had Steam for a while now but the disparity between the available Windows titles is actually pretty significant, last time I looked. The Mac App Store might bring OS X more gaming, especially if iOS devs feel good enough to port their games to the desktop or make new ones for it. Mac hardware, oth, isn't always exactly gaming material though, especially on the lower and mid-range models (all of which, btw, are still expensive you know :p)
(09-19-2012, 08:30 PM)DefenderX Wrote: [ -> ]I have a Mac but I'm not a Dev Tongue

Yo, send it to me kthxbai xD
Quote:Developer interest is the only thing really hampering OS X from having more games.

Part of the reason for the lack of developer interest is the simple fact that due to shitty drivers and other problems developing/porting games to macosx is a nightmare.
Even if the drivers were perfect, I believe dev interest would still probably be pretty low. Most games use D3D so any porting to OGL is going to incur R&D costs for rebuilding the engine. It might be low if their interface has abstracted enough of the rendering stuff, or high if they didn't. That could potentially dissuade developers from entering the OS X market or even considng it, since the ROI might be small (given size of the available user base and their interest in the game at all).

Despite the fact that Linux OGL drivers from Nvidia and AMD are pretty solid, the gaming market isn't quite "booming" over here. Selling on OS X or Linux probably just isn't profitable yet (well, independent devs do alright in some cases). I'm still waiting to see if Steam will change that on Linux, at least to some extent.
Pages: 1 2