Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: My new build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Building a new pc. Will I be ready for Dolphin?

MSI Z77A-G45 Intel Z77 Socket Motherboard

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.40 GHz LGA1155 CPU

ULTRA LSP650 650W ATX POWER SUPPLY

Corsair High Perform Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz 4x4

ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC TOP/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-912-KKN1)

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-BIT

1 TB HDD
*Looks for question*
*Doesn't see one*

Well I guess that's settled then.
Sorry. Just wondering if i will be able to run the majority of the wii games. Also planing on overclocking the i5.
Yes. Any specific games in mind?
lol, why does everyone always skimp out on a psu?
NSMB,SMG 1 AND 2,Metroid Series,Donkey Returns, Kirby Epic Yarn,Epic Mickey and Zelda Series. Will play others but, they are the main ones. Maybe a few Gamecube games.
He's right. I would steer away from an Ultra brand PSU and MSI brand motherboard if I were you.

SMG 1/2 won't run at fullspeed all the time with LLE audio, even with extensive overclocking. The same goes for the metroid series.
motherboard and PSU had good reviews.
Lol, I got myself a raidmax 630 W for <$50... Works fine. In my experience, as long as it works, It works. I've been building computers a LOONG time.

Anyway, that looks like an awesome build. I have the 550 Ti. I would get with some other forum members and ask for other recommendations. on 3x native res at 1080p and 4x SSAA it drops to 15-20 FPS. and that's with a 4.6 GHZ OC on the i5 2500k. Per-pixel lighting seems to drag it down on certain parts of Twilight Princess (WII). It may be because I am currently running a PAL version of the game, but I am soon to change that.

I have that exact case too! It's a beast! I put the Thermalright HR-02 Macho in it. Perfect Fit! Load temps in dolphin at 4.6 GHZ is 50-54 C.

EDIT: You might want to research the board you picked out, I know some of the military class MSI Z77 boards had a limiter on the voltage selector. So beware.
Quote:Lol, I got myself a raidmax 630 W for <$50... Works fine. In my experience, as long as it works, It works. I've been building computers a LOONG time.

This was very painful to read. Using an unreliable PSU just to save $20 is a terrible idea. I can't even begin to count the number of people I have had to give this lecture to after their PSU either died or failed to deliver the power rating listed on the box (or in the rare case I had one customer whose PSU fried the mobo somehow). You're putting yourself at serious risk for hardly any monetary gain. Sometimes you get lucky, but that's no excuse to tell people to do it or to continue doing it.

Back in high school we had a program where students building PCs would donate the low quality PSUs that came for free with their chassis to the school. The school would then use them in physics labs, allowing the students to pick them apart and play around with the components (mainly the capacitors) for learning purposes.

Quote:on 3x native res at 1080p and 4x SSAA it drops to 15-20 FPS.

Width resolution with IR modifier: 640 (native) x 3 = 1920
Height resolution with IR modifier: 528 (native) x 3 = 1584

Width resolution with SSAA modifier: 1920 x 2 = 3840
Height resolution with SSAA modifier: 1584 x 2 = 3168

You're rendering the game at 3840 x 3168 resolution internally. Roughly 13 megapixels per frame. And you wonder why your framerate is dropping?

Quote:and that's with a 4.6 GHZ OC on the i5 2500k.

Having a fast cpu isn't going to help your GPU render the game at insanely high resolutions.

Quote:Per-pixel lighting seems to drag it down on certain parts of Twilight Princess (WII).

It's listed under graphics enhancements for a reason. It increases shader load on the GPU, A LOT.

Quote:It may be because I am currently running a PAL version of the game, but I am soon to change that.

That makes no sense. The difference in performance between NTSC and PAL versions should be extremely small and the NTSC version should run slower, not faster.
Pages: 1 2 3