Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Solid PC specs, sub-average performance
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So here's my issue. I just bought a new laptop (Not specifically for Dolphin, but I did my research to make sure it could run Dolphin just fine [HP Pavilion DV7-4197CL])

I feel like my specs SHOULD be good enough to get full speed from most if not all of my games, at least at the lowest graphical settings. I've got a Quad core i7-720QM and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics card, on Windows 7 64-bit. I feel like I've tried everything to get it to run faster: different builds, different configurations, shutting down all unnecessary processes while I play (including Windows Explorer), assigning Dolphin to the two completely unused cores, high priority in task manager, and the most I can get is 42ish FPS on Paper Mario ATTYD, and 25ish on Wind Waker. Roughly 80-85% from all the games I've played. So I have a few questions:

Why is everything running so slow? Is my set-up just not as good as I thought?

What else can I do to speed things up?

Is there any way to undervolt and overclock my laptop just enough to raise clock speed without raising the temperature more than 15F?

Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance
That processor is verging on useless for dolphin. There's very little you can do about that except buy a new computer (unless you can upgrade the processor, but you won't do amazingly on that socket even if you can get a new one in without destroying your laptop).
yeah, dunno what made you think your computer was so good :p
i doubt that cpu even clocks to 2.5ghz with its turbo boost when dolphin is running. A speed is too slow B its a laptop so its going to be even worse clock for clock vs a desktop
Check out my thread in this section, with that laptop or whatever, you might get better speeds with the revisions I listed.
Quote:A speed is too slow B its a laptop so its going to be even worse clock for clock vs a desktop

And what makes you say that?

If it uses the same microarchitecture as a desktop its IPC should be the same.
Well, crap. Then what's a laptop I can buy that will run Dolphin at full speed, preferably at 3x Res?
(06-24-2012, 11:05 AM)nickmanjj Wrote: [ -> ]Well, crap. Then what's a laptop I can buy that will run Dolphin at full speed, preferably at 3x Res?

This can do 2.5x
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6834215408
Quote:preferably at 3x Res?
3x res on laptop ? It will be a waste of resources as it will be a lot higher than native laptop display res and will be downscaled. Better to use 2x with some AA =) For most laptops it's 1.5x for 15", 2-2.5x for 17".
Try turning off the multicore, your processor uses the older turboboost. So if you're running a multicore application your turboboost won't go all the way to it's max (2.8 i think?). Only on single cores will it reach that high.
Pages: 1 2 3