Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Decent Specs, but WW runs at 30 FPS, slower when action happens.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Having issues while playing Wind Waker with Dolphin 3.0.

Operating System: Vista 64-bit
Processor/CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad
Video Card/GPU: GeForce 9600 GS
Memory/RAM: 3 GB

While playing in less intensive areas, the game runs at 30 FPS 60 VPS and 100% speed. Though regularly the Speed is being reduced to around 80% to save the FPS from going lower than 20-25.

I'm just wondering if my specs aren't powerful enough to run the Dolphin Emulator. My video card isn't working as well as it did the day I bought it (over heats quite easily) and I think it may be effecting most games I play.

Is my system not strong enough for the Dolphin Emulator, or are there settings I can tweak to help the issue? I've already disabled fog, and tried disabling Scaled EFB copy, which helped the FPS very slightly, but obviously makes the game look like crap.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
Post your settings
(05-25-2012, 12:47 AM)Kurise Wrote: [ -> ]Is my system not strong enough for the Dolphin Emulator
I bet 20 bucks that your CPU clock speed is lower than 3.0Ghz
Dolphin is a dual core app ...
(05-25-2012, 12:55 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]Post your settings

I believe everything is on the default. I've played with Scaled EFB Copy off, which helps it run better, but kills the quality.

Most of the settings or options are disabled.

Aspect Ratio is Auto. Vsync disabled.

Internal Resolution at 1280 x 1056
Anti-Aliasing - None
Anisotropic Filtering - x1
Post Processing Effect - Off

EFB Copies - Set to Textures
External Frame Buffer - Disabled

Other
Fast MinMaps Enabled
Disabled Per-Pixel Depth
Disabled Fog

Everything in Advanced is unchecked.

I know nothing about this program, since I just downloaded it. Sorry if these settings aren't what you're looking for. But if they are, I listed what is either
(05-25-2012, 01:05 AM)admin89 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-25-2012, 12:47 AM)Kurise Wrote: [ -> ]Is my system not strong enough for the Dolphin Emulator
I bet 20 bucks that your CPU clock speed is lower than 3.0Ghz
Dolphin is a dual core app ...

What do you mean? I'm assuming that the 3.0 GHz is for show and it isn't actually that powerful, or I just haven't clocked it up high enough?
Quote:Sorry if these settings aren't what you're looking for. But if they are, I listed what is either

They are.
Put FrameLimit to Off (Config/General/FrameLimit)
(05-25-2012, 02:16 AM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:Sorry if these settings aren't what you're looking for. But if they are, I listed what is either

They are.
Put FrameLimit to Off (Config/General/FrameLimit)

That's not going to do anything for him. He can't reach full speed, uncapping the FPS isn't going to do anything. His fps are going to be the same capped or uncapped.

If you're not getting full speed and your settings are good, overclock. Try lowering the internal resolution to 1x and using DX9.

My video card needs to be replaced soon. It was causing system failures about 6 months ago, because it was clogged with dust. It worked fine after unclogging, but the card gets incredibly hot now.

Would overclocking my system have any effect on the video cards performance? I'm a complete noob when it comes to this stuff. I just don't want to damage the PC and if my video card gets hot now, I could only assume it would be working harder after an over clock?

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Edit- Just looked through tutorials. Seems over clocking isn't viable for me. The video card is already getting incredibly hot when I play games like SC2 or Tribes. I don't have any sort of cooling system besides an external fan, and it's simply not enough.

Hopefully I'll be able to replace my video card soon. Thanks again for the quick replies and the help. This site is awesome.
What is your exact CPU model?
Dolphin is more CPU dependent than GPU. Upgrading your GPU will influence graphics quality but not speed
HP Model d5000t
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9450 @ 2.66 GHz

I've never over clocked my system before. Given the fact that my video card gets quite hot now, should I be cautious about over clocking? Before I cleaned out the heat sink on the video card, it was causing complete system failure, my computer would freeze.

I'm just worried if I attempt to over clock my computer, an already existing issue (hot video card) could possibly become worse.
Pages: 1 2 3 4