Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Custom internal resolution as in PCSX2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Are there any plans to add such a feature to Dolphin? (as in PCSX2)

With GSDX, there are many interesting possibilities like:

[#1] 2x Fractional (e.g. render at 3840x2160 on a 1080p display) Works like 1080p with SSAA. Even a low-end GPU can handle this res easily if the game engine runs at 30fps (most PS2 games fall into this category).

[#2] X = 1x Fractional , Y= 2x Fractional (on a 1080p display, render at 1920x2160) Since the human eye is much more sensitive to the resolution increase in the Y axis, this mode achieves ~95% of the image quality of 2x Fractional with much lower resoure cost.

[#3] X= 1x Fractional, Y= 4x Fractional (on a 1080p display, render at 1920x4320)
Great for Crash Bandicoot games. Awesome image quality and still no problem for a low-end GPU.

* low-end GPU = AMD Llano APU with HD5550 integrated graphics.
No plans. Patches welcome, in case they actually do it right™.
In my opinion it would make more sense to introduce a X= 3x Fractional, Y= 2x Fractional 1920x1056 internal resolution for 1080p displays which would not waste performance as 3x internal resolution currently does.
Thank you for this interesting details for pcsx2. I ve never understood the using of costum resolution. I ll give "your" settings a try. Especially the Crash Bandicoot thing sounds very interesting.
Yeah, until I saw this I thought it was in case you were dumb enough to buy the monitors my school use (one of the directions is a prime number, or at least something really odd). I'd find this useful if I wasn't already at 12FPS.
Quote:Since the human eye is much more sensitive to the resolution increase in the Y axis, this mode achieves ~95% of the image quality of 2x Fractional with much lower resoure cost.

lol What?

That's just flat out wrong.
Sure? It seems a sensible way to have evolved seeing as there is nothing that will eat us or that we could catch that is above us, but there is to the sides.
FOV has nothing to do with resolution. Besides the screen you're looking at only takes up a fraction of your eyes field of view unless your face is 2 inches away from it.
No, but that doesn't mean that the eyes won't vary in sensitivity in different axis right in front of you. I admit that I may be incorrect as so far I have been too lazy to Google up some evidence. If you give me some evidence then I'll believe you, but until then I shall be sceptical.
* Wide screen displays (with square pixels) have ~1.7 times less pixels in the Y axis
* Increasing the Y resolution has a higher effect on improving the quality of the details in the distance, while increasing the X resolution has a higher effect on the panorama.
* Eye sensitivity is nonlinear - eyes are more sensitive near the center of the FOV
* Two eyes doesn't mean 2x wider FOV in the X-axis (there's quite a bit of overlap)
* In 1st person and 3rd person 3D games, 'scrolling' is mostly in the Y-axis (the automatic camera almost always centers behind the main character) so higher dynamic resolution in the Y-axis helps more.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7