Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should I buy GPU or CPU to improve Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Sir Glame

Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this is a noob question but I'm new to Dolphin (but loving it!!) and this is my first ever post! Currently I am running the lastest build Dolphin 3.0-201 64-bit and my PCs specs are:

Intel i7 CPU @2.93 GHz
8 gig RAM
Nvidia GTS 450 Graphics card.
Windows 7 64 bit.

I have limited cash but am thinking about an upgrade to boost performance of Dolphin and PC generally. I've noticed games like Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country Returns and a few others struggle to get to 50FPS, even after playing with all the graphics settings.

So my question is which will power up my frame rate and have Dolphin running faster - a kick-ass graphics card or a kick-ass CPU??

Thanx in advance for anyone who replies Smile
(11-19-2011, 02:20 PM)Sir Glame Wrote: [ -> ]Hi All,

Apologies in advance if this is a noob question but I'm new to Dolphin (but loving it!!) and this is my first ever post! Currently I am running the lastest build Dolphin 3.0-201 64-bit and my PCs specs are:

Intel i7 CPU @2.93 GHz
8 gig RAM
Nvidia GTS 450 Graphics card.
Windows 7 64 bit.

I have limited cash but am thinking about an upgrade to boost performance of Dolphin and PC generally. I've noticed games like Mario Galaxy, Donkey Kong Country Returns and a few others struggle to get to 50FPS, even after playing with all the graphics settings.

So my question is which will power up my frame rate and have Dolphin running faster - a kick-ass graphics card or a kick-ass CPU??

Thanx in advance for anyone who replies Smile

A better CPU.Get a 1155 motherboard and a i5-2500k(and an aftermarket cooler if you want to overclock it) if you want the best for Dolphin.
GPU + CPU cooler, then overclock your cpu. Sandy Bridge is not good enough over what you have now to warrant platform upgrade, overclock should be sufficient for Dolphin.
Quote:GPU + CPU cooler, then overclock your cpu. Sandy Bridge is not good enough over what you have now to warrant platform upgrade, overclock should be sufficient for Dolphin.

I second this.
I think the GPU is limiting you.
Get at least a GTX560 to play games in FullHD.
He will still need the overclocked i5 2500k for more intensive games like SMG1&2
Mine isn't overclocked and I can play them at fullspeed.
just overeclock your cpu to 3.6ghz++ (dont try it with stock cooler)
(11-19-2011, 03:35 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:GPU + CPU cooler, then overclock your cpu. Sandy Bridge is not good enough over what you have now to warrant platform upgrade, overclock should be sufficient for Dolphin.

I second this.

I agree with them, if you dont know how to overclock its now a good oportunity to learn, just buy a Corsair H50 to H100 and you can get that CPU to 3.6 (minimum) with safety. And i dare to say with a Corsair H serie Cpu cooler you will dont even have to mess with the voltages to get a 3.5 overclock with good temperatures, unless you live on a really hot place.
(11-19-2011, 09:03 PM)NexXxus Wrote: [ -> ]Mine isn't overclocked and I can play them at fullspeed.

-K processors were meant to be overclocked, it means you're not using them to their full potential, its like having a sports car and never breaching the 100kmph mark but hey if you get fullspeed its cool, but do you use HD settings?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5