Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Should I buy GPU or CPU to improve Dolphin?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Sir Glame

(11-19-2011, 09:37 PM)Zee530 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2011, 09:03 PM)NexXxus Wrote: [ -> ]Mine isn't overclocked and I can play them at fullspeed.

-K processors were meant to be overclocked, it means you're not using them to their full potential, its like having a sports car and never breaching the 100kmph mark but hey if you get fullspeed its cool, but do you use HD settings?

No, I'm not, sorry. I don't think my graphics card can do full HD (Nvidia GTS450). Either that or I just haven't played with it enough. My monitor is old 24 inch Acer LCD. I assume putting it all HD slows things down even more.
(11-20-2011, 09:16 AM)linkinworm Wrote: [ -> ]what i7 do you have because there are many. if its a 900 series CPU then you could just overclock it to about 3.8ghz and it will run anything at full speed just fine( as long as the emulator runs the game at full speed unlike some games like geist that are just broken) if you want to run at a higher res then get rid of the 450 if you want a gaming card from nvidia your 1st stop should at least be a 460 gtx upto the 480s then in the 500 series start at the 560 gtx because anything lower than the X60 range is usualy not a good gaming graphics card.

My CPU is an Intel i7 870 @2.93 GHz. I definetely should have said this earlier but I have already overclocked it to its max using Gigabyte Smartboost to 3.52 GHz. It should be running like a dream unless it really is the GPU (Nvidia GTS450) that's slowing it down. Or maybe it's just that certain games such as Mario Galaxy and Donkey Kong Country are not kind to Dolphin in general and will only do 45 FPS.

Of course there is also the definite posssiblity I've got no idea what I'm doing, which has happened many times in the past.
Something is wrong then. Are you using LLE audio? Post your settings.

Quote:Anyway, what do you mean by 4xSSAA is broken? You mean it doesn't work?

It doesn't produce the correct behavior that you would expect from SSAA. The downscaling filter is currently broken and it produces the exact same effect as raising your IR. There is almost no effect on reducing aliasing except at very low IR, and at a low IR it produces the same effect that you would get from raising your IR. It SHOULD massively reduce aliasing at any resolution, and it used to (before 6549 which was the revision that broke it). 2x IR + 4xSSAA and 4x IR + no SSAA are identical in terms of image quality.
(11-20-2011, 09:16 AM)linkinworm Wrote: [ -> ]what i7 do you have because there are many. if its a 900 series CPU then you could just overclock it to about 3.8ghz and it will run anything at full speed just fine( as long as the emulator runs the game at full speed unlike some games like geist that are just broken) if you want to run at a higher res then get rid of the 450 if you want a gaming card from nvidia your 1st stop should at least be a 460 gtx upto the 480s then in the 500 series start at the 560 gtx because anything lower than the X60 range is usualy not a good gaming graphics card.

I fully agree with you on this matter.

The GTS 450 is crap when it comes to PC gaming. If it's crap in pc gaming, then it's also crap in emulation in general. You definitely do not want to limits yourself or your pc just for Dolphin emulation, why stop there? For any real gaming experience, you'd need at least a GTX 460 1GB w/ 256-bit memory for starter. However, these days, the GTX 560 Ti is recommended, just think of it as the "new gtx 460" standard for gaming.

As for CPU, quadcore is the norm these day and to get get any playable fps in dolphin--overclocking is a must. How much speed is enough? That depends on the game you want to play because different game have different requirements. But typically, you'd need at least 3GHz for most games, but other you might need 4GHz or more.
(11-21-2011, 11:12 PM)tuanming Wrote: [ -> ]As for CPU, quadcore is the norm these day and to get get any playable fps in dolphin--overclocking is a must.

I wasn't going to argue despite not agreeing with most of what you said, but after that I must point out that dolphin does not even use four cores, nor most PC games does. A dual/three core clocked at 3.5 is fine for dolphin in most cases and for like, everything you can find in PC gaming. Your standards are just far too high.
And now that I'm at it, the GTS450 can run dolphin with 4x IR fine without choking and it isn't "crap" in PC gaming, it gives my friend a solid 40 fps in Mafia 2 with PhysX on high, plus runs crysis 2 at 1080 with everything on extreme at 35-40 fps.

I'm getting tired of how intolerant this generation is becoming with PCs, why don't you guys complain about your loser XBox360 that runs a lot of games on 720p at 30fps huh?
the i7 870 @3.5ghz + Nvidia 450gts
is more then enough for mostly every game...
i dont know why the first 2 pages everybody spammed... buy sandybridge
the old i7 is nearly at the same speed like sandybridge...

its now a configuration problem
Quote:If it's crap in pc gaming, then it's also crap in emulation in general.

Your logic needs some work. PC gaming != emulation
Not to mention you're comparing modern PC games against 10 year old games being emulated. The GTS450 can already handle 3x/4x IR, there is no reason to get anything more powerful except for 9xSSAA (which would require a GTX 560 TI for 2x IR and a GTX 580 for 2.5x IR), is it honestly worth spending twice as much just to get 9xSSAA working at a lower resolution?

Quote:As for CPU, quadcore is the norm these day and to get get any playable fps in dolphin--overclocking is a must. How much speed is enough? That depends on the game you want to play because different game have different requirements. But typically, you'd need at least 3GHz for most games, but other you might need 4GHz or more.

I don't know how many times I'll have to say this in my lifetime but apparently at least once more, clock rate is not a unit of measurement for performance or speed.

handlebike

The GTS 450 is perfectly fine for dolphin unless you just have to max out the AA. Not worth buying a new GPU imo.
(11-22-2011, 02:18 AM)Runo Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-21-2011, 11:12 PM)tuanming Wrote: [ -> ]As for CPU, quadcore is the norm these day and to get get any playable fps in dolphin--overclocking is a must.

I wasn't going to argue despite not agreeing with most of what you said, but after that I must point out that dolphin does not even use four cores, nor most PC games does. A dual/three core clocked at 3.5 is fine for dolphin in most cases and for like, everything you can find in PC gaming. Your standards are just far too high.
e GAnd now that I'm at it, thTS450 can run dolphin with 4x IR fine without choking and it isn't "crap" in PC gaming, it gives my friend a solid 40 fps in Mafia 2 with PhysX on high, plus runs crysis 2 at 1080 with everything on extreme at 35-40 fps.

I'm getting tired of how intolerant this generation is becoming with PCs, why don't you guys complain about your loser XBox360 that runs a lot of games on 720p at 30fps huh?

My standards are not "too high" yours is too low! This year is 2011, soon 2012. When was the last time you visit a electronics store that sell PCs and have you look at their specs? Rolleyes Also, I never said Dolphin would use up to 4 cores. However, it wouldn't be wise to limits yourself to just dolphin only. Why buy a dualcore when one can get a quadcore? Quadcore is the norm these days, so get it over it. I checked the reviews on the gts 450 and it's crap, period.

(11-22-2011, 04:01 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:If it's crap in pc gaming, then it's also crap in emulation in general.

Your logic needs some work. PC gaming != emulation
Not to mention you're comparing modern PC games against 10 year old games being emulated. The GTS450 can already handle 3x/4x IR, there is no reason to get anything more powerful except for 9xSSAA (which would require a GTX 560 TI for 2x IR and a GTX 580 for 2.5x IR), is it honestly worth spending twice as much just to get 9xSSAA working at a lower resolution?

Quote:As for CPU, quadcore is the norm these day and to get get any playable fps in dolphin--overclocking is a must. How much speed is enough? That depends on the game you want to play because different game have different requirements. But typically, you'd need at least 3GHz for most games, but other you might need 4GHz or more.

I don't know how many times I'll have to say this in my lifetime but apparently at least once more, clock rate is not a unit of measurement for performance or speed.

I did say emulation in general, didn't I? That means it's not limited to only Dolphin. Ever heard of Pcsx2? A gts 450 is not enough for those demanding games on pcsx2.

Clock speed is the most common or known way to push for more speed/performance. But I know what you're saying. From Core 2 to Core i7 Sandy Bridge, obviously clock-for-clock the Sandy Bridge is a lot faster. But still, clock speed does matters if you want to push or aims for more performance no matter the architecture. This is why people overclock.
Know what, I'm too tired to argue. '--

You talk as if every PC gamer in the world played at 1080p with AA and shit, which is obviously not true since that's precisely why the graphics are configurable. Also, less than half of the CPUs in the consumer home worldwide are quadcores so no it isn't "norm".

As I tried to say before the gaming market generally talking is made of more than the High end ultra machines out there and this has to be considered. Also, 80% at least of the PC games also won't make any use of quadcores, and I can surely say this will continue to be this way for at least the next two years, so quad cores are not useful for gaming at all, unless you are talking about heavy multitasking, like more than one game running at the same time. It isn't even their purpose.

I'm outta here.
(11-21-2011, 08:13 AM)Sir Glame Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2011, 09:37 PM)Zee530 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-19-2011, 09:03 PM)NexXxus Wrote: [ -> ]Mine isn't overclocked and I can play them at fullspeed.

-K processors were meant to be overclocked, it means you're not using them to their full potential, its like having a sports car and never breaching the 100kmph mark but hey if you get fullspeed its cool, but do you use HD settings?

No, I'm not, sorry. I don't think my graphics card can do full HD (Nvidia GTS450). Either that or I just haven't played with it enough. My monitor is old 24 inch Acer LCD. I assume putting it all HD slows things down even more.

My CPU is an Intel i7 870 @2.93 GHz. I definetely should have said this earlier but I have already overclocked it to its max using Gigabyte Smartboost to 3.52 GHz. It should be running like a dream unless it really is the GPU (Nvidia GTS450) that's slowing it down. Or maybe it's just that certain games such as Mario Galaxy and Donkey Kong Country are not kind to Dolphin in general and will only do 45 FPS.

Of course there is also the definite posssiblity I've got no idea what I'm doing, which has happened many times in the past.
You're using a windows program to overclock or bios overclock because a windows program is a very bad idea overclocking should be bios only, its more stable, games like mario galaxy and DK are pretty hard on dolphin and most people who want to play them at full speed run close to 4.0ghz becasue of LLE and audio stuff to make it sounds right. if you have a good cooler, and a good branded psu thats above 500 watts or above you could get more speed out of that cpu easy.

(11-20-2011, 11:06 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote: if you want to run at a higher res then get rid of the 450 if you want a gaming card from nvidia your 1st stop should at least be a 460 gtx upto the 480s then in the 500 series start at the 560 gtx because anything lower than the X60 range is usualy not a good gaming graphics card.
Quote:That's true, I thought he'd want more eyecandy though.

Please read this:
Quote:A GTS 450 will eat 1080p with a 3x IR for breakfast, in fact it's probably capable of 4x IR without producing a bottleneck. I don't think you understand just how little gpu resources dolphin needs.

funny my GTX 460 at 850 mhz core seems to slow games right down at 3x IR with my 3.8ghz core i7 930. the graphics card at stock clocks is already better than a 450 and would crap out at 3x IR.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5