Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: omfg overclocking 300mhz more than trippled my speed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

cmccmc

This is crazy. When I normally run dolphin I get between 10-15 fps because of my low-end AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0ghz single core. I overclocked my fsb to 2.3ghz and now i'm getting between 40 and 50. Why the Hell did I get such a big speed increase

LuisR14

well one, for programs that use the cpu alot an increase in cpu speed (not FSB Tongue) will increase the emulation linearly, and two it's increased cpu frequency (not FSB, lol i said it again Tongue)

Veeeight

(06-15-2009, 06:20 AM)cmccmc Wrote: [ -> ]This is crazy. When I normally run dolphin I get between 10-15 fps because of my low-end AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0ghz single core. I overclocked my fsb to 2.3ghz and now i'm getting between 40 and 50. Why the Hell did I get such a big speed increase
Dude, how did U've overclocked fsb to 2.3GHz? Big Grin
Tell more about this config, what motherboard, ram, graphic and power supply unit.
I got such rig (it's my old config but I still got it somewhere in home and I can run it if I'd like to, so I can check that out):
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ (overclocked to 2.4-2.5 GHz)
2GB DDR 400MHz - possible to overclocked to 433MHz on CL2.5 (if I can remember it good)
Motherboard: ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe + 400W psu
Man that's awesome news. I must try to OC my pentium dual-core e5200.
i doubt you really meant youre fsb is 2,3. and there are 2 reasons why

1) amd doesn't use fsb
2) 2,3Ghz as fsb is just...insane
I think the raised its cpu to 2.3 Ghz by overclocking its FSB ^^
I will try it too, but I'm going to overclock my Q6600 2,4GHz to about 3,0GHz.^^

Veeeight

(06-15-2009, 09:56 PM)abfab126 Wrote: [ -> ]I think the raised its cpu to 2.3 Ghz by overclocking its FSB ^^
Daco is right, last AMD cpu that used fsb was Athlon on A socket, since socket 754 AMD is not using fsb. And Intel fsb's are clocked up to 400MHz x 4 = 1600MHz so 2.3GHz is absolutely impossible. It's obvious that he meant his cpu was overclocked to 2.3GHz.
huge speedup only works for singlecore because of video running on same cpu.

for dualcore you get about that speedup, that you overclock.

25% more clock -> ~25% more speed.

but dont think now that singlecore may get faster then dualcore -> this is not the case Tongue
(06-15-2009, 10:46 PM)Veeeight Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-15-2009, 09:56 PM)abfab126 Wrote: [ -> ]I think the raised its cpu to 2.3 Ghz by overclocking its FSB ^^
Daco is right, last AMD cpu that used fsb was Athlon on A socket, since socket 754 AMD is not using fsb. And Intel fsb's are clocked up to 400MHz x 4 = 1600MHz so 2.3GHz is absolutely impossible. It's obvious that he meant his cpu was overclocked to 2.3GHz.

It s obvious that it is absolutely impossible , but,it is also obvious that he changed his "FSB" settings in his BIOS , even if it is Obvious that AMD uses 2 separated values (HTT(i/o from pci express and southbridge) and RAM) they are still appearing in the BIOS as FSB^^
In this case ,The FSB gives a value of frequency to the CPU (even if it doesn't exist...the FSB^^).This value multiplied by the cofficient of the HTT gives the speed of the HTT ,then the CPU applies a RAM divider at its own frequency to the RAM , so the RAM is at a correct frequency .

Yes?^^
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5