Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: New proc for SMGII?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Hello there

I'm running SMGII on a i5 2400 (3,1 to 3,4 GHZ, 6850 overclocked, 8GB RAM) just fine. With normal audio it run's at 60 most of the time, just some little frame drops here and there. But the music stops. So I'm using LLE which costs me some frames, but I'm still at 60 most of the time. The Problem is just that with every slowdown the music slows down as well and so it makes the framedrops very apperant.

I'm now thinking about buying a new board + proc, a i5 2500k (3,4 to 3,7GHZ) with potential to overclock. Would the frame and musicdrops go or is it because of the emulation and can't be changed? Maybe it's even in smgii WII as well?
(10-02-2011, 02:13 AM)Seph Wrote: [ -> ]Hello there

I'm running SMGII on a i5 2400 (3,1 to 3,4 GHZ, 6850 overclocked, 8GB RAM) just fine. With normal audio it run's at 60 most of the time, just some little frame drops here and there. But the music stops. So I'm using LLE which costs me some frames, but I'm still at 60 most of the time. The Problem is just that with every slowdown the music slows down as well and so it makes the framedrops very apperant.

I'm now thinking about buying a new board + proc, a i5 2500k (3,4 to 3,7GHZ) with potential to overclock. Would the frame and musicdrops go or is it because of the emulation and can't be changed? Maybe it's even in smgii WII as well?

The point is that LLE is so synchronized with the game that music slowdowns happen only when fps slowdowns, so they will go away with an OCd 2500k. Music slowdowns actually are in SMG2, but only in a couple galaxies, namely the Rolling Coaster Galaxy where your current speed determines the music speed.
So it's really just the missing horsepower and not the emulation per se? I will 99% be fine when I invest in a better CPU?
Yes.
Then I'll buy a i5 2500k @3,4GHZ...
You guys are sure, yes? Not that I spent the money and the performance is the same...
just a reminder, you'll need P67 or Z68 board to OC k-series.
if you don't already own that, you'll need new board as well.

if you already own P67/z68. try intel's limited OC scheme first, you should be able to add 4 cpu bin to it's turbo multiplier (on non-K sandy bridge).
so i5 2400 should get 3.5GHz on 4 core turbo and up to 3.8GHz on single core turbo (from previously stock 3.1 on 4 core and up to 3.4 on single core), slightly faster than a stock 2500K

that should already be enough. i've tried SMG2 on stock 2500K, it ran fullspeed.

I don't have that board but I plan on getting it. But I must decide bforehand. Change CPU AND mainboard or just the mainboard. Mind you I only need that much processing power for dolphion....
It would help if we knew what motherboard you have now.
Upgrading from a 2400 to a 2500k, now that's funny :p
You should've asked here before getting your rig :p
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5