Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What do I need to upgrade to run at full speed?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3

garboy

Ok, here are my computer specs:
AMD Phenom X4 3.0GHZ
Geforce GTX 260
4GB DDR3 Ram

When I play Super Mario Galaxy I get around 30-33FPS in the main hub. What would I need to upgrade to play at full or close to full speed?
SMG needs a lot of CPU, think about 4GHz was the number for high demand games

garboy

Will getting a newer graphics card help much? Or is it mainly CPU speed when it comes to this emulator?
from what i know your GPU is fine, (someone correct me if i'm wrong) most of the emulating work apart from some visuals is done by the CPU so expect Dolphin to use as much CPU power as it can take
(07-28-2011, 06:28 AM)garboy Wrote: [ -> ]Will getting a newer graphics card help much? Or is it mainly CPU speed when it comes to this emulator?

Yes CPU especially for Mario Galaxy 1&2

garboy

So if I upgraded from my Phenom II X4 940 3.0Ghz to a AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz, would I see a large jump in FPS in games like Mario Galaxy?
Get Phenom II X4 instead, because it have better GHz than X6 and Dolphin only use 2 cores.

4.8GHz is your best bet to keep SMG1&2 from ever going under 60 FPS.

garboy

Where am I going to find a card that fast? The fastest I could find is a 3.7ghz. Can I overclock it to 4.8ghz?
You will not see a big jump going from a 3ghz x4 to a 3.2ghz x6. You are in reality getting 0.2ghz more speed when in comes to Dolphin emulating and some more on die cache. I had a 4.3ghz E8500 which clock per clock in regards to speed with a Phenom 2 is similar and that didn't do a constant 60 all the time but did at the hub. So, don't expect to get a full speed from nothing less then a overclocked I5 or I7.
Get a i7 Sandybridge, you can overclock it to 4GHZ even with the Stock Cooler Big Grin
Pages: 1 2 3