Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Epically epic desktop...(Maybe...)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Hello! My name is JaredHedgehog. Some of you might know me from YouTube (Yes...That crap remix of Beat it...) and I met several of you here already.

If you read my sig, the computers I've used with Dolphin (Both of them under the same roof and both of them are mine) are old, and as a result I at first wanted to get a gaming laptop. But then again, there are countless things wrong with those so I decided to do something new. I was going to learn how to build a computer, but due to family problems, I could not build this, so feel free to use this as a model and change parts to your liking as such.

Here is what I was shooting for:

Intel Core i5 3.1 GHz Processor(Sandy Bridge, 2nd Gen) - $189.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
HIS H675F1GD Radeon HD 6750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity - $104.99/$109.93 w/shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6814161379
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM - $20.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6827135204
HEC 7106WW Beige White Steel ATX Desktop Computer Case - $39.99/$49.98 with shipping http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6811121011
Antec EarthWatts EA-650 GREEN 650W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - $64.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6817371044
Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model KHX1333C9D3K2/4G - $47.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
BIOSTAR TH67B LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Intel Motherboard -$79.99/ $84.98 w/shipping - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...-_-Product
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive - $64.99 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6822152185

Grand Total = $630.00 (not exact, but close)
Might need to get a stronger power supply than that 550 Watt. Also, make sure to install Windows 7 x64.
Ehm, well good for you i guess... Is there something that you actually wanted to ask, or a point in this thread Huh?
Btw i wouldn't call that desktop "epic", moreover "epically epic" by todays standards. It is decent though.
For the love of god don't list the items, provide links to them! That way we don't have to google every single one of them.

Quote:Intel Core i5 3.2 GHz Processor - $189.00 @ Amazon.com

Sandy Bridge, clarksdale? What specific cpu?

Quote:Gigabyte GA-H55M-S2V

The fact that this is a H55 board not P67 would seem to suggest clarksdale. In that case I would suggest sandy bridge + P67 asus mobo instead.

Quote:WD Caviar Blue 500 GB Internal hard drive - 300 MBps - 7200 rpm - $49.99/$51.48 w/Shipping - @ Amazon.com

Get a samsung spinpoint F3 instead.

Quote:Ultra Lifetime Series Professional LSP550 Power supply - 550 Watt -$56.06 - @ Amazon.com

Get a better power supply from a reputable brand like corair, ocz, antec, etc. 550watts is plenty unless you step up to a very high end video card.

And never buy a case with an included power supply.

I would also advise you buy everything on newegg. Amazon usually has higher shipping charges for some reason and the support you get from newegg can't be beat, you will have 30 days to return a product for a full refund or replacement. Plus you should support them as much as possible given everything they do for the PC gaming community. Can you imagine a world without newegg?
(06-07-2011, 02:04 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]For the love of god don't list the items, provide links to them! That way we don't have to google every single one of them.

The fact that this is a H55 board not P67 would seem to suggest clarksdale. In that case I would suggest sandy bridge + P67 asus mobo instead.

Quote:WD Caviar Blue 500 GB Internal hard drive - 300 MBps - 7200 rpm - $49.99/$51.48 w/Shipping - @ Amazon.com

Quote:Ultra Lifetime Series Professional LSP550 Power supply - 550 Watt -$56.06 - @ Amazon.com

Get a better power supply from a reputable brand like corair, ocz, antec, etc. 550watts is plenty unless you step up to a very high end video card.

I would also advise you buy everything on newegg. Amazon usually has higher shipping charges for some reason and the support you get from newegg can't be beat, you will have 30 days to return a product for a full refund or replacement. Plus you should support them as much as possible given everything they do for the PC gaming community. Can you imagine a world without newegg?

Whoa there speedy! I'm not being mean, but I usually prefer Amazon.com...I actually bought online for the first time several months ago. I'm only 16, but my parents are a bit worried about me going on different websites to get item X or Y, and I don't want to get them worried. I'll go and post links soon, and everything would be updated. Big Grin
(06-07-2011, 02:53 PM)JaredHedgehog Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-07-2011, 02:04 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]For the love of god don't list the items, provide links to them! That way we don't have to google every single one of them.

Whoa there speedy! I'm not being mean, but I usually prefer Amazon.com...I actually bought online for the first time several months ago. I'm only 16, but my parents are a bit worried about me going on different websites to get item X or Y, and I don't want to get them worried. I'll go and post links soon, and everything would be updated. Big Grin

ok you are looking at the old i5, the new i5 is the same price and its better so >.>

get core i5-2500 (the 2500K version has unlocked multipliers so you can mega overclock it easily, it would be a much better value)

Then get a socket 1155 motherboard, if you want to overclock with the 2500k you need a P67 chipset motherboard, if not getting that one, you can get any 1155 motherboard really.

For graphics, id agree get the 5830, its a good value for the performance, and would not only allow 1080P for wii with ease, it should most any pc game on higher settings.

You rpsu is junk, diablotek is a cheapo brand, like the ones that explode lol... get a 500-600W corsair, antec, seasonic, silverstone, thermaltake, xfx, enermax, those kinds of psu brands are good.

with that your computer would be more epic, would probably make it cost about $100 more though.
Why the HELL would you get a 1st gen i5? Get a 2nd gen, they outperform 1st gen i7's and are the same price as 1st gen i5's..
(06-08-2011, 09:52 AM)Ness Wrote: [ -> ]Why the HELL would you get a 1st gen i5? Get a 2nd gen, they outperform 1st gen i7's and are the same price as 1st gen i5's..

+999Big Grin
(06-08-2011, 09:52 AM)Ness Wrote: [ -> ]Why the HELL would you get a 1st gen i5? Get a 2nd gen, they outperform 1st gen i7's and are the same price as 1st gen i5's..

yep no possible discussion Wink
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7