Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Epically epic desktop...(Maybe...)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(06-20-2011, 10:12 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]
Quote:It seems what is happening with the game is that it is constantly reading/writing the efb data and texture for the mini-map and flushing all of this data through the pipeline causing the slowdowns. Dumping textures revealed hundreds if not a thousand of the minimap textures each differing slightly, probably causes big slowdowns on Hyrule Field due to the size of Hyrule Field. That said the issue isn't the geometry that is causing the slowdowns for this game at least, it's the mini map textures being flushed through the pipeline.

This happens with other games that read/write efb data and textures although none of the other games have slowdowns like in Hyrule Field and the speedup hack doesn't work with other games.

Source: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/showthread...38&page=59

The process of figuring all of this out was long and painful (as evidenced by that 60 page thread as well as hundreds of others like it).

Thanks!
(06-14-2011, 03:01 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]Also if you have the money: http://www.amazon.com/ASRock-P67-Extreme...567&sr=1-1

Awesome P67 board. It's an extra $60. Down the road you can buy an aftermarket air cooler and then this board will let you OC like a madman.

And do realize that if you buy a 650 watt PSU (power supply unit) instead of a 550 watt you won't have to upgrade it down the road if you ever decide to buy a high end video card, you'll only have to upgrade the case down the road. So it's a wise future investment but if you don't have the money I understand.

Updated my last post. Quoted below in case you don't feel like flipping back to read it:
Quote:And like I've said before, get some ddr3 1600MHz ram (this ram is not only much better than what you listed but is actually $5 less in price): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820231277

I also find it odd that half of your products are from amazon and half are from newegg. So you're willing to buy some components from newegg but not all of it?

Also, why do i have to upgrade the case? Huh Is it because the tower I'm getting is a mid size tower?
Quote:Is it because the tower I'm getting is a mid size tower?

Yes, and a relatively small mid-tower. High end video cards tend to be very long. But if you were to make cutbacks the case would be one of the components that I would recommend, mid range video cards and some high end video cards will fit in it and you can always upgrade the case in the future.
(06-23-2011, 04:13 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]

Yes, and a relatively small mid-tower. High end video cards tend to be very long. But if you were to make cutbacks the case would be one of the components that I would recommend, mid range video cards and some high end video cards will fit in it and you can always upgrade the case in the future.

Well, I got a $30 case that can fit a 5870, but that is just luck Big Grin
(06-23-2011, 09:59 PM)ExtremeDude2 Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-23-2011, 04:13 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]

Well, I got a $30 case that can fit a 5870, but that is just luck Big Grin

Updated the first post! Big Grin
Quote:And like I've said before, get some ddr3 1600MHz ram (this ram is not only much better than what you listed but is actually $5 less in price): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6820231277

^*cough*

Also you might as well buy the cpu on newegg since everything else if from newegg Tongue (we've converted you, by the time you're done with this experience I assure you that you will be a newegg believer).
(06-24-2011, 01:27 PM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]

^*cough*

Also you might as well buy the cpu on newegg since everything else if from newegg Tongue (we've converted you, by the time you're done with this experience I assure you that you will be a newegg believer).

Yep, it sure seems that way. Also, the new motherboard i found on newegg can not use the 1600 mhz ram, but the mobo also has usb 3.0 so it is a great bang for the buck...Total cost for everything right now is $621, so I'm living right now. Big Grin
You SURE you can't bump up your budget a little bit and get a P67 + DDR3 1600 ram?

And I must continue to recommend the samsung spinpoint F3 over a western digital black edition unless you have some kind of irrational fear of samsung.

This would leave only 4 major future upgrades:
-an SSD (FAR FAR future)
-a blu-ray drive (FAR FAR future when games start being stored on them)
-a better video card (probably next year)
-a bigger/better case (only needed if you get a high end video card in the future)

The rest of your parts are future proof for the long term.
(06-27-2011, 04:51 AM)NaturalViolence Wrote: [ -> ]You SURE you can't bump up your budget a little bit and get a P67 + DDR3 1600 ram?

And I must continue to recommend the samsung spinpoint F3 over a western digital black edition unless you have some kind of irrational fear of samsung.

This would leave only 4 major future upgrades:
-an SSD (FAR FAR future)
-a blu-ray drive (FAR FAR future when games start being stored on them)
-a better video card (probably next year)
-a bigger/better case (only needed if you get a high end video card in the future)

The rest of your parts are future proof for the long term.

For right now, I'm looking towards budget plus performance, and I feel that the computer meets my needs already. I might get the samsung for more storage and more ram later Big Grin.
You want the samsung as your PRIMARY drive for speed reasons.

Considering it will only cost you about $65 to upgrade to a P67 + DDR3 1600MHz ram I don't see why you wouldn't do it to be honest.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7