Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Understanding "Frame Skip"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hey there everyone, I've got a small issue I just can't get my head around. I'll use an example to describe it Smile

For instance, I can get No More Heroes 2 to run and 80% steadily (Around 23-24FPS). So I decided to use 1 frame skip thinking the worst it can do is halve the frame rate of the original gamespeed (15 FPS) in exchange for a full-speed experience.

But i chuck on 1 frame skip, and instead of doing what's expected it halves the frame-rate to 12FPS and still only runs at 80% game speed. I really don't understand.

My first thought was that it would allow me to play at 100% but only with 23-24FPS (Almost a smart frame-skip), my second thought was that it would halve the frame rate to 15FPS to give me a 100% 'speed' game with lower FPS.

But instead I get half the frame rate with the same game speed which to me makes it a completely useless function on all levels. Is something wrong with the way i'm using frame-skip? am I not getting something?

Just for the record it's the same with all games and the speedhack for No More Heroes 2 didn't even do anything for me. E.G. 007 running at 25FPS out of 30, chuck on frame skip to play at "full speed", but instead halves the frame rate with the same 80% game speed. Pleeeease help me Sad
Pleeeaseee
Yeah, i Also thought it wud give me the 100% Game experience :S
It can help if the graphics thread is the bottleneck, like in SMG. If not, it won't help.
I've got a Phenom quad 3.2Ghz and 9800GX2. ran it in SLI mode 1, mode 2 and they both scaled well in most games but this frame skip stuffs weird. I'll get 80% speed in smash bros brawl or like any game and have frame skip on 1 to make it play at the original game speed but instead it just halves the frame rate and maintains the same slowed down speed of 80%. This makes the frame-skip function completely useless to me so I think i'm not understanding something here.
(04-30-2011, 06:05 PM)Churvin Wrote: [ -> ]I've got a Phenom quad 3.2Ghz and 9800GX2. ran it in SLI mode 1, mode 2 and they both scaled well in most games but this frame skip stuffs weird. I'll get 80% speed in smash bros brawl or like any game and have frame skip on 1 to make it play at the original game speed but instead it just halves the frame rate and maintains the same slowed down speed of 80%. This makes the frame-skip function completely useless to me so I think i'm not understanding something here.

yep useless Big Grin good subject to deliberate...
(04-30-2011, 10:43 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2011, 06:05 PM)Churvin Wrote: [ -> ]I've got a Phenom quad 3.2Ghz and 9800GX2. ran it in SLI mode 1, mode 2 and they both scaled well in most games but this frame skip stuffs weird. I'll get 80% speed in smash bros brawl or like any game and have frame skip on 1 to make it play at the original game speed but instead it just halves the frame rate and maintains the same slowed down speed of 80%. This makes the frame-skip function completely useless to me so I think i'm not understanding something here.

I've always wondered why the feature is even there if it doesn't even work. Have the developers ever commented on this features usefulness?
(04-30-2011, 11:58 PM)Churvin Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2011, 10:43 PM)LordVador Wrote: [ -> ]

I've always wondered why the feature is even there if it doesn't even work. Have the developers ever commented on this features usefulness?

well I said "useless" because none of my games needs this but I'd like to know if some games do
frame skip is kinda useful if your rig isnt good enough to play a game and you can live with choppy graphics
(05-01-2011, 02:36 AM)silveruniverse Wrote: [ -> ]frame skip is kinda useful if your rig isnt good enough to play a game and you can live with choppy graphics

That's the problem though. Let me try dumb down the shit out of what i'm saying.

Let's say for instance [GAME] runs at 30FPS on the original Nintendo Wii
And that in the emulator I can only achieve 15/30FPS

You'd think that "Frame skip 1" would skip every second frame to achieve 15FPS at full game speed. But it doesn't. It makes the game skip every second frame and only increase the game speed to about 65-70% from 50%, rather than the expected 50% increase at half the frame-rate.

Can anyone help me out. I've tried all that don't limit the frame rate shit and turn on v-sync, seems the frame skip is pretty broken.
Pages: 1 2 3