Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: Understanding "Frame Skip"
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
yeah frame skipping is much usefull,atleast at me where i can play SMG2 full speed with it turned on to 1.

BUT! the game goes way down from 48FPS to 24-20FPS and i see my game like spiking due to frame skipping,imo this needs to be improved.
(04-27-2011, 12:19 PM)Churvin Wrote: [ -> ]But instead I get half the frame rate with the same game speed which to me makes it a completely useless function on all levels. Is something wrong with the way i'm using frame-skip? am I not getting something?

Having frame skip set to 1 skips every second frame, obviously. However, the effect of this is barely noticeable on good hardware and thus really just skips the frames without improving anything. Thus, you'll get only have of the FPS while running at almost the same speed.
(05-01-2011, 10:28 PM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-27-2011, 12:19 PM)Churvin Wrote: [ -> ]But instead I get half the frame rate with the same game speed which to me makes it a completely useless function on all levels. Is something wrong with the way i'm using frame-skip? am I not getting something?

Having frame skip set to 1 skips every second frame, obviously. However, the effect of this is barely noticeable on good hardware and thus really just skips the frames without improving anything. Thus, you'll get only have of the FPS while running at almost the same speed.

I understand what you're saying. However this makes no sense "really just skips the frames without improving anything."

Why, Like why? There's no reason why it should skip every second frame for the lols to attain the same shitty speed.

Don't you call that a broken feature??
Even if frames are skipped, the CPU still has to do a lot of work. It's mostly useful for users with weak graphics cards/chips...
errr I still haven't got my example of game working better with FS... Tongue
IIRC we're still rendering all the stuff, just not displaying it.
(05-03-2011, 12:29 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC we're still rendering all the stuff, just not displaying it.

Then is there a point in using frame skip?
(05-03-2011, 12:29 AM)NeoBrain Wrote: [ -> ]IIRC we're still rendering all the stuff, just not displaying it.

can there be a way to not render it in the first place?
(05-03-2011, 09:09 AM)jw12321 Wrote: [ -> ]

can there be a way to not render it in the first place?

That would probably crash the game.
Please. Someone make this feature useful like PCSX2's one is suppose to beeee. C'mon munters Smile
Pages: 1 2 3