Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What about sound, the very soul of a game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Guys,

first of all, I would like to thank you for all the hard effort and sweat that was spent making Dolphin what it is. However, I would like to point out something (which you probably already saw in two previous posts):

You see, images are a part of our life. We're surrounded by them, and they have the power to draw our attention. But it is sound that is able to catch the heart. In fact, while images impress, sound can affect us physically - a high-pitched sound can damage ears, and believe it or not, when a microwave works, it doesn't work by generating it directly - it emits a sound that resonates with water, making it boil and cook your food. It can affect the rhythm of our very hearts, making us feel peace, fear... - or even both!

Although video compatibility is amazing, I don't see much progress when it comes to sound – particularly to the LLE plugin, the one that should produce the most accurate output. In fact, I don't see much progress there the last stable version. Correct me if I am wrong.

Obviously you have no obligation to answer me, but I would be very happy if you would – why don't I see much progress getting sound to work? What is the point to play a game, only to see it, but not to hear its atmosphere?
By the way, I would like to thanks those that worked in their hacks to improve the situation. But I think it would be great if things were worked out in the real build - of course, it is just my opinion. I don't claim it is as an absolute truth.
O_o Dude, if he reads this, skid's heart will be broken.
The LLE plugin has made progression like shit the last few weeks and is continuing to do so. Just be patient.

Ah, and don't use the "stable" version, if you mean 2.0 ...that one's just tooooo old...use a recent revision, they're stable enough...actually more stable than 2.0
Get them following the link in my sig.
(12-29-2010, 03:25 AM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]O_o Dude, if he reads this, skid's heart will be broken.
The LLE plugin has made progression like shit the last few weeks and is continuing to do so. Just be patient.

I see. Maybe it did with lots of games. I still believe what I said (that sound is the soul of a game) is true, but I guess it can't be helped that I'm a bit selfish – the LLE plugin may play well with many games I didn't ever hear of or care about, but I just wanted to play Tales of Symphonia so bad... the very game the current LLE plugin doesn't like.

I'm not sure what you're talking about since all games have working sound to some extent with the HLE plugin (and most have good sound). Why are you concentrating on LLE? And do you even have the two files you need to make the LLE plugin work? What version of Dolphin are you using?

StarScream Wrote:I'm not sure what you're talking about since all games have working sound to some extent with the HLE plugin. Why are you concentrating on LLE? And do you even have the two files you need to make LLE work? What version of Dolphin are you using?

I do have these two files. You asked me something very important: why am I concentrating on the LLE plugin, if the HLE one works to some extent?

The reason is because I assume the LLE plugin is the one that has the potential to produce the most accurate sound, as it uses these two dumped files – if the bugs in it are ironed out, of course. When I played Tales of Symphonia with the two plugins, the difference was stunning: hearing beyond the noise the current LLE produces with that, I could notice (in the intro) that there was a beautiful bgm that was not being played with all instruments if you use the HLE plugin. I tried to confirm that on youtube, seeking for the real soundtrack, and I realized that what I suspected is true.

You are the developers, of course. But the reason I suspect the LLE plugin was not scrapped out in favor of HLE (which does work much better) is because I think that either the developers are considering that making the HLE plugin playing very accurate sound will take a lot of time. Also, while accurate emulation is most likely not impossible, fully emulating Dolphin / Wii's sound instruments would take more processing time and complexity. Well, it is just a wild guess.

As to what version I'm using, I'm always using the latest SVN builds to check if there was some improvement.
I'm not a developer myself. What I can tell you is to use the plugin that is best for you right now and in the future things will be fixed. Things are being fixed every day.
I'm not sure what's up with Tales of Symphonia. The JIT implementation over the past couple of weeks hasn't sped up TOS on LLE at all. Mylek posted a code patch that gets rid of all the static and speeds it up considerably, but since Mylek isn't a developer, it seems his code is banned from being added to the "official" builds.
(12-29-2010, 06:16 AM)(SS) Starscream Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not a developer myself. What I can tell you is to use the plugin that is best for you right now and in the future things will be fixed. Things are being fixed every day.

What you said – that things are being fixed every day – is true. I just downloaded the last SVN build and while the LLE plugin is still slow, I noticed the HLE one can play more instruments, closer to the original track. However, I think Tales of Symphonia is so beautiful that I feel I don't want to miss anything, so I'm waiting until there's a version in which I can hear everything. I have a lot of playtime already, and I don't want to miss any of the other masterpieces there.

(12-29-2010, 06:25 AM)RPG Advocate Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure what's up with Tales of Symphonia. The JIT implementation over the past couple of weeks hasn't sped up TOS on LLE at all. Mylek posted a code patch that gets rid of all the static and speeds it up considerably, but since Mylek isn't a developer, it seems his code is banned from being added to the "official" builds.

I did see a hack like this around here. But if his code fixes thing somehow, maybe the official developers could take a look into it and rewrite it into something proper that will help this plugin?
Yeah, ToS doesn't play right with the HLE plugin. However, there seems to be no dev around who can really fix HLE DSP bugs. So the HLE plugin is pretty much at a dead end (even though for most games, it's perfect).
That's where the LLE plugin comes in. It's not really (enjoyably) playable, yet. However, in the last few weeks it has made astonishing progress and will probably soon be the way to go for ToS and other games. As you already noticed, the "not all instruments played"-sound-bug is not there with the LLE plugin.
Quote:Obviously you have no obligation to answer me, but I would be very happy if you would – why don't I see much progress getting sound to work?

Because all of the easy stuff has already been done. LLE work is painstakingly difficult since you have to actually understand the dsp microcodes.

Quote: What is the point to play a game, only to see it, but not to hear its atmosphere?

Then use the actual hardware. Dolphin is still a work in progress, it will take a long time to finish the LLE audio plugin.

Also you are crack if you think that not a lot of developer attention has been spent on audio recently. 90% of skids comments have been related to LLE jit these past few hundred revisions. Just the other day he finally finished the last jit instruction after a solid year of hard work. And what about the Xaudio2 backend or the 48khz sampling rate options? I suppose those don't count either to you....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7