Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: What about sound, the very soul of a game?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Maybe you should study up some more, many non-coders here know that... read revision logs etc. I don't think you're very aware of the development situation.
(01-01-2011, 11:34 PM)Mythrill Wrote: [ -> ]I managed to talk to squid today. He was very warm and kind, and is also very willing to listen.

Basically, my bios files were corrupt, so I had to re-dump them. This makes the garbage noise go away. Nevertheless, the plugin is still slow, and they are working on speeding it up. This last part we already know.

What is interesting is that he explained me the difference between HLE and LLE: as you know, LLE tries to use the bios to play sound perfectly, which takes a lot more processing power. The HLE plugin is basically a guess about how Dolphin's digital sytethizer works, and it bypasses any emulation - the code is already re-written in C++ - this is precisely why it is much faster. He did explain me that improving on the high-level sound plugin is difficult, and this is one more reason they are focusing on the LLE plugin.

To the coders out there this may be no big news, but for laypeople like, this is some very useful insight.

Talking to "squid" (skid) about LLE is nothing new really. It's just that you're late to the party. He's been working on this for a while.

who the hell is squid? O_o

Aaahahaha, Skid! xD

Oh, the poor guy sooo has a new nick Tongue

Yeah, skid is a true gentleman, he most probably won't even tell you that you're getting on his nerves...that's how it is with me, anyway Wink
(01-02-2011, 02:44 AM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]who the hell is squid? O_o

Aaahahaha, Skid! xD

Oh, the poor guy sooo has a new nick Tongue

Yeah, skid is a true gentleman, he most probably won't even tell you that you're getting on his nerves...that's how it is with me, anyway Wink

There. I fixed it.
hahaha...you got it wrong again -_-
(01-02-2011, 04:04 AM)StripTheSoul Wrote: [ -> ]hahaha...you got it wrong again -_-

Even typos have to be in my way, eh? Now it's all good (I hope).
gz, correct this time... Wink
(01-01-2011, 10:32 AM)Mythrill Wrote: [ -> ]Also, I gathered from IRC the 3 sources we have about how sound works on the GC/Wii. Here they are (LPFaint99, from IRC, deserves the credit here, by the way):

yay me for my 30 seconds of google-foo [/sarcasm]

Forgive him he's clearly just an idiot (mythrill).
Amazing. have you guys tried the newest revision with SMG, dx11 and LLE plugin? It's so good now.. 90% All the time.

Quote:Give small amounts of time to the dsp whenever the ppc
reads the high bits from the mailbox registers. It is probably waiting for
the dsp to read the data from the cpu-to-dsp mailbox or for the dsp to
write to the dsp-to-cpu mailbox.

This about removes DSP::Read16 from lle profiles where it previously used
up to 2% of all system time. Also speeds up games quiet a bit.

It really does. Thanks devs!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7