Dolphin, the GameCube and Wii emulator - Forums

Full Version: [WiiWare] SONIC The Hedgehog 4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
(10-14-2010, 10:38 PM)leox001 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-14-2010, 05:01 AM)Aerosol Wrote: [ -> ]Still, dual-core is considered low by today's standards? That's saying something. I've already built my new pc on newegg, just need to save up to buy the parts and build it. I plopped in a dual-core processor, thinking I was getting the happy medium of cutting edge processing power and budgeting smarts. You're telling me I'm wrong? Oy-vey.

Dual core is already low for today's standards in real time 3D rendering. I get massive bottlenecks in most games just because it's a dual core and not x4
Even having a medium(-high?) tier GFX card (GeForce 9800GT) my FPS are sliced by the x2 CPU (All Unreal Engine 3 Games, and Dolphin of course) and sometimes they don't even touch 8FPS (GTA IV or FFXIV for example, though said games don't look THAT good compared to crysis which runs perfectly on a x2 core CPU, they still bottleneck) leaving them unplayable.

If you're going to build a PC yourself for current generation gaming (or wii-gc-ps2 emulation), get at least a x4 CPU.

Dual core is perfect for Dolphin, it doesn't even use more than 2 at this point anyways. Your bottleneck is NOT your cpu (unless it's in the 2ghz or below range), it's your gfx card. That card is good but nowhere near what would even be considered midrange these days.

I would disagree in advising people to only get 4 or more core cpus. I am running a core 2 @ 3.16ghz, 4gb 1333mhz ram, and a 1gb GTS250 and I can play any game out today, on Dolphin or otherwise. I just finished playing through Dead Rising 2, all settings maxed but shadows (medium), 4xAA, 4xAF, got 50-90fps all the way through the game. No need for a quad core whatsoever. The only games that benefit from quads right now are garbage like Crysis (most poorly coded PC game ever) and GTA4/GTA4 expansions (most poorly coded console ports ever).

That being said, quads are certainly not expensive and if you are building a new rig and get a quad, make sure it's a FAST quadcore, not a 2.3ghz one or something. Get as close to 3ghz as you can or higher. Quads don't mean squat if you only have like 2.4ghz speed.
(10-16-2010, 10:54 AM)tbird79 Wrote: [ -> ]garbage like Crysis (most poorly coded PC game ever)
You just went full retard, Crysis not only runs great in dual core, but you can compare it's performance to games like GTA IV and FFXIV and, not only Crysis looks a lot better, but said games are barely playable with massive stuttering and low frames.
Cryengine is one of the most refined and best looking real time engines ever created.

But that's completely offtopic. And yours was obviously a troll comment.

Maybe the emulator does not use Quad core cpu's at it's best but overall a quad core may be better than getting an expensive dual core CPU.
In any case, it's your choice and opinion. But the fact that dolphin's site reccomends a Dual Core @ 2Ghz or more is kind of outdated, as that would merely be the minimal requeriments for getting barely playable FPS.

I doubt you would need more than a GFX card like mine for this emulation, as changing the video enhancements (AA, AF, etc) barely affects the performance of the game with a GeForce 9800GT, if the video card was bottlenecking it would reflect it in that area.
My CPU is terrible and many other PC games have been having issues with it, usually Unreal Engine ones (where strangely I pass the reccomended requeriments, and they still run like crap, very good job EPIC games) or the hideous FFXIV, where again, with the lowest graphical settings run exactly as -slow- as with the max settings. Opposed to crysis that runs smooth and has almost infinite options for tweaking every single aspect of it's engine, to balance your settings perfectly.
(10-16-2010, 11:27 AM)leox001 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-16-2010, 10:54 AM)tbird79 Wrote: [ -> ]garbage like Crysis (most poorly coded PC game ever)
You just went full retard, Crysis not only runs great in dual core, but you can compare it's performance to games like GTA IV and FFXIV and, not only Crysis looks a lot better, but said games are barely playable with massive stuttering and low frames.
Cryengine is one of the most refined and best looking real time engines ever created.

But that's completely offtopic. And yours was obviously a troll comment.

Oh come on buddy, I know never to go FULL retard! lol!

But seriously, Crysis is a TERRIBLE game running on an equally terrible engine. Certainly, amazing things can be done with Cryengine, but at what cost? The fact that Crysis still cannot be played at a solid 60fps or higher 3 years after it came out is proof of just how poorly coded it is. Any other game from that era will run at like 100+fps on today's rigs with 16xaa/af. Pretty bad when a high end i7 based system with a gtx480 still can't achieve a proper framerate for that game. Most benchmarks I've seen have it sitting NEAR a steady 60 with settings maxed and some aa/af, but that's it. Unacceptable, the gfx aren't THAT great on Crysis, even maxed out. Other titles have eclipsed it, like Metro 2033 (different type of fps, but whatever).

Cryengine is horribly optimized and not feasible for use in most games. This is why it has only been licensed out to use in a few titles, namely worst game of the year, Drug Wars, and the forthcoming Michael Jackson MMO coming out next year. If it was a decent engine, lots of companies would be using it, but they're not.

I have to admit though, I am quite interested to see how the Michael Jackson MMO turns out. I don't understand just WHAT you will do in that game!

As to the thread topic, I've got Sonic 4 running great on r6281 @60fps, 4xssaa, smooth as butter, looks incredible. Haven't made it to the later stages yet to see if there's any slowdown.

(10-16-2010, 01:01 PM)tbird79 Wrote: [ -> ]Cryengine is horribly optimized and not feasible for use in most games. This is why it has only been licensed out to use in a few titles, namely worst game of the year, Drug Wars, and the forthcoming Michael Jackson MMO coming out next year. If it was a decent engine, lots of companies would be using it, but they're not.

Well it's true that Cryengine wasn't quite made to run at 60FPS with this generation's hardware, however you can easily achieve 30FPS that seems to be the standard for crysis with a good computer, and hell, even 15fps is acceptable in crysis, believe me or not, it feels silk smooth even between 20-30fps.

The reason why not many games use it, it's because it's a REALLY, REALLY expensive engine, when I was looking for real-time engines to potentially use in my architectural rendering projects, you know to not just rely on videos and actually make it interactive. I found some people complaining at how ridiculously expensive developing anything in CryEngine is, and that incredibly high budgets are not enough.
The Unreal engine is the most accessible, but it has it's limitations, and that is what most people without millions of dollars in their pockets to invest use for real time rendering purposes.

Glad you could run Sonic 4 at full speed and in HD Wink
You are using DX9 or OpenGL renderer for that?

PS: MJ MMO? wtf... that's sounds like a strange concept, the curiosity is killing me lol
(10-16-2010, 01:19 PM)leox001 Wrote: [ -> ][quote='tbird79' pid='116809' dateline='1287198071']

Glad you could run Sonic 4 at full speed and in HD Wink
You are using DX9 or OpenGL renderer for that?

PS: MJ MMO? wtf... that's sounds like a strange concept, the curiosity is killing me lol

I'm using DX9. Here's a screenshot I took ingame. The SSAA really sharpens it up.

http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2010-10-1502-072x46.png

As to the MJ MMO, I have no idea what it'll be like. I'm assuming it'll be lots of little mini-games and some sort of social networking set up. And of course, lots and lots of micro-transactions.
In bonus stages buttons stop working suddenly sometimes. How can I fix that?
so how do i increase the speed?
The game is running great for me with only occasional minor slowdowns, however if I try to enter the Mad Gears level or when I see a mining cart in the Labyrinth, Dolphin crashes. Just updated to r6279 with no change. Any suggestions?
nimbulan, which video plugin are you using? What settings have you got enabled?
(10-17-2010, 02:22 PM)skid Wrote: [ -> ]nimbulan, which video plugin are you using? What settings have you got enabled?

Whoops! I feel stupid for not posting that in the first place.

Direct3D9
CPU->EFB enabled
EFB scaled copy
EFB copy to texture
Use native mipmaps

Also using the US version of the game if that matters.

Edit: Well I seem to have fixed it. For some reason, my crashes were caused by me compiling the emulator on my computer. I downloaded the same rev from here http://www.dolphin-emu.org/download.html and it works fine. It also fixed NyxQuest which I couldn't even get to the main menu in previously.

On a side note, when I was using the binary I compiled myself it always had an "M" after the rev number in the title bar. Does anyone know what that means?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7